Sick, weak duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by YooperChickens, Aug 26, 2016.

1. YooperChickens

YooperChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Da Yoop
    Hello all, we have a male Indian Runner duck who is about 12 weeks old. When I let them out this morning, they all seemed fine. We later found Bill lying in the yard alone. They are normally very skittish and don't let us approach them. Bill just continued to lie on the ground when I went near him. I picked him up with no resistance from him and moved him away from the rest of the flock. His nose seems snotty, and he is coughing/sneezing/wheezing. He is very lethargic and isn't moving. He occasionally shudders. What is wrong with him? What, if anything, can I do for him? Thanks in advance. We're new to ducks.

Edited at 1219 EST - I just went out to check on Bill again. He has a lot of mucous that seems to be coming from his beak. My husband pulled up an article about botulism in ducks that sounds very much like what is going on with Bill. He's so weak that he can't even hold his head up. I'm going out now to give him some fluids and electrolytes via syringe.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. AnjKar n Ducks

AnjKar n Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

@Amiga
    @RavynFallen

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please go to the Flushes sticky to see advice.

Could he have choked on a large slug?

4. YooperChickens

YooperChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Da Yoop
    It's certainly possible? I gave him some electrolytes and water via syringe. Most of it seemed to dribble out the sides. I couldn't get his beak open and once I did I had to stick my finger in there to keep it propped open. I had him out in a little quarantine area but he got up and walked out of it and is sitting in the grass. He still looks awful but he seems a bit better than this morning. He's doing kind of a head bob thing and twitching his tail.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like a slug to. me too....My puppy ate one and the amount of mucus she vomited was unreal...She is a 2lbs yorkie.....
    Give him clear water or even tea....It helps....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by