sick welsummer- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vtsarahb, Jan 30, 2011.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    My 8 month old welsummer pullet is acting very lethargic- she is currently isolated from the others, lying under a heat lamp in the garage. Her comb and wattles are a little dark and the wattles look shrunken. She will stand up if i pick her up, but only takes a couple of steps until she lays down on her belly again. She refuses to eat or drink, and just sits around with her feathers a bit poofed and her head pulled in towards her body. Her crop feels full and almost squishy, but she doesn't have bad breath or anything. She looks fine otherwise, no parasites, no bumblefoot, no nasal discharge, no labored breathing, eyes are clear, vent looks fine. I haven't seen any poo yet. She started laying about a month ago- all has been normal. I felt her abdomen and she is not eggbound.

What could this be??? Please help, I don't want to lose my sweet little wellie [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    well I massaged her crop and left her under the heat lamp overnight, and this morning she seemed like her usual self again- walking around clucking at me, she even ate some yogurt. My only guess is that maybe she ate too many pine needles, and it made her sick? At any rate, she seems to be feeling better, so I'm putting her back in with the rest of the flock tonight.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am glad she is better. Make sure they have grit to eat is all I can add!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by