Sick Welsummer pullet

M-H-Fielding

Formerly known as -7-6-
Apr 10, 2019
Oermount
My Coop
My Coop
So I have been pretty successful in raising chicks up until now. At this time I have several RIRs and a few Welsummers. They live in an indoor brooder, with a cornish X meatbird who turned out to be a runt. He is too small to live with the other meatbirds, and does not hurt the chicks. It has been a bit cold in my area lately, so I have been trying to keep a small heater in my brooder.
I don't have any baby chicks, I have a few young pullets that are just finished feathering. They have been very healthy up until now.
I recently noticed that one of the RIRs was acting rather strange. She would puff up and act cold, not eating or drinking for hours at a time. I tried to hand feed her, and was able to get her to eat a bit.
I tried to get her to eat on her own, but she didn't have the will to live. She was sick for several days. Last night I found her dead.
I know that with a group of healthy chicks comes a sick or weakly one, but I don't think that was the case with my little RIR.
Just this morning, I noticed that one of my Welsummers has the same symptoms. I'm not sure what to do. Could it be that I don't have enough heat for them, or that they are just unhealthy?
Any help is appreciated!

How cold is it?
They aren't baby chicks, but how old are they?
How big is the brooder?
Can you please post photos of the chicks, brooder and their poop?

Puffing up, acting cold, not eating/drinking and being young - Coccidiosis comes to mind. Do you have any Corid on hand?

Liquid Corid dosing is 2tsp per gallon of water or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Not sure of the exact temperature, but it hasn't been too cold for my full grown hens.
They are maybe about four or five weeks old? Not quite sure. I will try to find that info.
The brooder is maybe about three feet by two feet? I will measure first thing tomorrow.
I will get pics tomorrow.
No, I don't have Corid on hand. Will look into getting some. Is it sold at Tractor Supply?
Thanks for the info!

You should be able to find Corid at TSC in the cattle section.

1601264973953.png
1601264980002.png

Ok, I have Corid on hand. I will start using it. I got the pics, but they are a bit blurry. The one chick that is sick wouldn't sit still. I just cleaned the brooder. The fresh feces that I found for the pick has what looks like blood in it, though the pic doesn't show it very well. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that bloody poop means internal parasites?
This is a pic of the chick. She wouldn't sit still, so the pic is blurry.
IMG_3441.JPG

The next pic is also of the chick.
IMG_3440.JPG

This pic is the poop.
1601308124870.jpeg

This is the front of the brooder.
1601308173311.jpeg

This is the inside.
IMG_3438.JPG

The pic isn't the best, it doesn't show the whole brooder. It's bigger than the pic shows. Most of the other chicks where hiding behind the other door.

Not sure of the exact temperature, but it hasn't been too cold for my full grown hens.
I have Corid on hand. I will start using it. I got the pics, but they are a bit blurry. The one chick that is sick wouldn't sit still. I just cleaned the brooder. The fresh feces that I found for the pick has what looks like blood in it, though the pic doesn't show it very well. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that bloody poop means internal parasites?
It would be good to take some temperature readings. See what the outside temp is, what the temp is in the brooder, etc.

Hard to tell from the photos, but if you think you are seeing blood, then Coccidiosis may be your problem. That's what the Corid is for.
Do you have liquid or powder?

Powder, and I just dosed them based on what you said earlier. I will take the temps in a bit, and post them as soon as I do. Thanks so much for your help! How long do I continue with the Corid treatment?

Powder, and I just dosed them based on what you said earlier. I will take the temps in a bit, and post them as soon as I do. Thanks so much for your help! How long do I continue with the Corid treatment?
I would give for 7 days. Make sure they are only drinking the mixed Corid water.
Don't add ACV, electrolytes, vitamins or anything else to the water, it should just be the Corid.

When do you plan on hardening them off so they can be in a bigger space?

Back
Top Bottom