Sick White Crested Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DellaDo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. DellaDo

DellaDo New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    My husband & I are new comers to the world of ducks. We have 7 White Crested and we tried incubating 7 eggs. Only 1 egg hatched and for the first 2 weeks, the duckling did very well -- ate and drank and provided us with hours of joy. He does has a crest and suddenly, when he/she was 2 weeks old, he started having problems standing up and when he did, he held his head arched over his back. In order to help him eat and drink we supported his neck. Our veterinarian has no experience with ducks and gave us a referral number to call. We took Junior in 2 days ago and the veterinarian said it was either a virus or trauma. He could not offer any treatment and said it was a wait and see situation. I now found on this web site, the description of the lethal gene associated with the Crested ducks. He now has a very difficult time standing up and we hold him so that he can eat and drink. Has anyone had experience with this condition and if so, is there any hope for this little ray of sunshine. We do not want to see him suffer [​IMG] Thanks for any help.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I've heard of them leaning there heads back and seizing like that, hope he is okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by