sick white leghorn-not laying eggs

chicken noodle

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Hi,
We have 16 pullets that were hatched in April. They all started laying in August/September. We have 3 White Legs and they are the only ones that lay white eggs. On Sunday we noticed that one of them was in one of the nest boxes for a long time and very droopy looking. We have been watching her. We do not think she has laid an egg since Sunday (we had 3 white eggs that day, but only 2 per day since then). She did drink yesterday but did not appear to eat. Her vent looks ok and I can't feel an egg but wonder if she is eggbound. She is passing a clear, sticky discharge that almost resembles egg whites. While she is hanging in there, she is definitely not acting like a normal chicken...sitting alot, moving slowly. The rest of our chickens are acting perfectly fine, so I don't think we are dealing with anything contagious. We are separating her today and bringing her in. We are going to try warming her up. I am going to glove up and try lubricating the vent.
Any other thoughts about what might be going on?
Thanks!

Last edited:
That sounds like the broody girl i have now. I was freaking out thinking she was going to die. I did not notice a discharge, but
idunno.gif
. Keep an eye on her, I hope she is just broody like mine
fl.gif

Thanks for your reply!
We brought her in and put a heat lamp on her for less than an hour....took her temp...too high to register, thus, > 107! Took the heat lamp off of her and will re-temp her soon. She's now walking around the bedroom floor and doing a lot of preening, especially around her back end. We offered her some scambled eggs which she sampled a couple of times. She passed more stool which looked like egg whites, very runny but with some brown and white...no green or red.

I can't believe how attached you can get with these chickens. We feel sick about losing her and helpless about what to do for her.
sad.png

She does not sound broody with that type of poo and lethargic nature. Could it be cocci and she got weak? Or worms? Or egg bound like suggested? Broody's will puff up and growl, and it is unlikley a leghorn will go broody.

Back
Top Bottom