Sick with eye boulging

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christian T, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Christian T

Christian T New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    She got sick with a runny nose and eyes. After about a week one eye has become very swollen "boulging". I have avoided antibiotics to this point. Amy advice and greatly appreciated.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

In this case Antibiotics would be highly advised. Respiratory diseases such as Mycoplasma gallisepticum will be in the chicken for life and when in times of stress the diseases will come back.If you are willing to go with Antibiotics i would use Tylan 50 labeled under cattle it will treat Respiratory Symptoms not the disease.If you dont go with Antibiotics i would cull the flock.Seprate the worst carriers from the flock with food and water and you can offer eggs and tuna often.

1 person likes this.
  3. Christian T

Christian T New Egg

Jan 31, 2017

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The dosage for Tylan 50 is

Tylan 50 injectable orally 1/4 cc bantum, 1/2 cc standard once a day for five days.The tylan will say injectable/labeled under cattle but just give it orally with a 3cc syringe.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos?

Does she still have symptoms of respiratory illness as well as the swollen eye - coughing, sneezing, mucous?

There are many respiratory illnesses that have these symptoms. Clean the eye (flush it) with saline and remove any pus that you see. Apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eye. Further antibiotic treatment may be necessary, but unless pus is removed they will not be effective.

If she doesn't show signs of improvement after you have treated the eye (flushed it, removed pus, applied ointment) then you can try Tylan 50 which is found a the feed store. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. Weigh your bird so you can administer the proper dosage.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by