Sick wobbly duck - 5 months old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blag, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    On Wednesday 1/10/19 we went out and it was like he had been hit,so we thought. He just could hardly get up. His neck seemed almost contorted and swollen. I really didn't think he would survive. We set up a kennel, next to the coop, so he could see Daisy. Thursday he was still with us.

I visited with some friends. We thought maybe he was clogged or got an airborn disease, so I treated for two things. Mind you, I have never treated a bird before. I drenched him with 3 cc of olive oil and gave him .25 Pcn g and .1 banamine for 2 days. I am now realizing I should have done the Pcn for 4?.

Because I was unsure if he was having trouble with food,we have been feeding canned fruits and veggies. We also put Daisy in the kennel with him. She would not go in the house without him. And we received 31" of snow over the weekend. She has not caught this. But Their is green poop in the kennel.

After reading through some of your posts, I am thinking I Should do a flush, electrolytes, some niacin and see how they do. If needed, repeat Pcn G.

PLEASE ADVISE.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you tell us his symptoms? Is there any eye or nasal secretions? How does his crop feel—empty, full, soft, hapard, or puffy? It is in his right upper chest. Is his neck twisted or held in an unusual position? A twisted wry neck symptom may make the chest look full simtimes. Wry neck is a neurological symptom, and is treated with vitamin E, B complex vitamins, anda bit of egg for selenium. Can he stand and walk normally? Have you tried to gove him chicken feed?

Penicillin will not help if he has a respiratory disease; it is better for an infected wound. Tylan, tetracycline drugs, or Denagard are more effective if there is a bacterial respiratory disease, such as MG (CRD.)

Miss Lydia and Blag like this.
  3. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    The first day his neck looked swollen. Then it was better. Yesterday after handling him to treat him m and to clean the kennel it looked puffy again. His eyes look fine and nose too. He tips side to side like a drunk. He stumbles.

His poop turned green the second day after I gave him Meds. We have given him some scratch but not as much as usual.

4. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    I have fortified b complex and la200. Would that work and if so, how much?

When you say egg, do I scramble it for him?

vitamin E - gel caps? Or?

5. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    I am going to go to town in a while. I am making a list

Electrolytes
    Vit E, B complex
    Antibiotic
    Brewers yeast

Drench syringes

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feel where he is puffy in case he has a leaking air sac under the skin. It may just be swelling. Cooked egg is fine, scrambled or boiled and chopped. A poultry vitamin such as Poultry Cell, or Poultry NutriDrench has vitamins and electrolytes, vitamin E, selenium, B vitamins, so you may not need all the other things. I believe LA200 is a tetracycline drug, which can treat some respiratory or intestinal problems. You will need to look up dosages. Pictures of him are welcome.

Blag likes this.
  7. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    Okay. I purchased the following:
    Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-40-17.png Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-32-54.png Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-33-58.png
    I added the prescribed amount in a warm gallon of water and gave well over half to Donald and Daisy. I put the rest in the chickens water.
    I also purchased Brewers yeast tablets. Ran them through my nut chopper twice and put asome in their feed.
    I will repeat the next few days.
    I can drench Donald with the Rooster Booster when I have help. For today I will see how he does.
    His poop was not green today.

Thank you for your help!

8. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    This is Donald.
    Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-54-31.png

9. Blag

Blag In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Missouri
    This is Daisy and Donald.
    Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-55-43.png Screenshot_2019-01-17-15-55-43.png

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    B12 is not all of the B vitamins, just B12 and vitamin K, not really the ones he needs. Brewers has B vitamins, but I think many use Nutritional yeast since it is a deactivated yeast. Vet rx is herbal oils—oregano, rosemary, pine, and camphor, kind of similar to using Vicks. I would have bought a poultry multivitamin, electrolyte, and mineral tonic, such as Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster or Poultry NutriDrench. I’m glad they are better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: