Sick Wyandotte chicken, droopy, diarrhea, and weight loss on and off for 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ER-nurse, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ER-nurse

ER-nurse New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Geneva Florida
    I have a 9 month old Wyandotte chicken. She's been perfectly healthy until about 6 weeks ago. She started with diarrhea and seemed very droopy. I have some medical experience so I immediately separated her from the flock, did a rectal exam, (thinking egg bound) and gave calcium by mouth with electrolytes in the water plus treated her with valbazen in case it was worms. She stayed in my laundry room for 2 days and after all the meds and special treatment, she perked up and was sent back outside. 3 weeks later she had another case of this that lasted for 3 days... Similar treatment (I've tried sulmet, valbazen, tylan injections, probiotics, oral vitamins and electrolytes). She got better a second time and was sent back out. Now this is the third time she's been sick since December 1st. But this time she doesn't seem to be improving. She has no energy and even uses her wings to balance herself when she stands. And she is always sleeping. She has awful green diarrhea as well that comes and goes. I've also noticed she is incredibly thin. Her keel has no meat on it at all. She eats and drinks a ton... But no weight gain. I'm at a complete loss as to what this could be. None of the other birds have any similar symptoms. I have an appointment with the vet on Friday but I'm worried she might not make it until then. Has anyone ever dealt with a similar problem?? Suggestions, thoughts, anything would help. Please. She's my favorite bird. Thanks in advance for replies.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Before giving anymore medications, I would take several fresh droppings into your local vet for a fecal float to look for coccidia, resistant worms, and to do a gram stain for enteritis. She has some sort of immunity problem which could be related to chronic cocci infection, or even a virus such as Mareks or avian leukosis. The only way to get her tested for the viruses, would be to get a necropsy if she dies or is culled. I would get the fecal test, and look at her laying history noting any egg yolk peritonitis symptoms. Unfortunately, sometimes we cannot find answers until a necropsy is done. Please keep us informed on what you find out, and let us know if you need any more opinions. Hopefully others will chime in.

3. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Also, If I were you, I would check her crop every night before she goes to bed to see how full it is, and in the morning check it to see how empty it is. If it does not empty all the way by the morning, it is impacted or sour crop.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by