sick wyandotte, pasted, worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barnacle, May 6, 2011.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Hi, new here, looks like tons of good advice shared... Thanks in advance for all help.
    Right to the point, I've been able to coast along for some years now with a small mixed flock (5 chickens, 5ish years old) that have done great with just feed, shell, grit, bedding and water but now i think I have some bad worms in the coop. I lost one chicken to pasted up vent that looked really bad, maybe infected? I've read up on wazine and other wormers now (thanks dawg...). But I'm worried that my wyandotte is very sick, pasty butt, lethargic and stayed out of the coop in the rain this evening. Any ideas how i can keep her alive to worm her. I've cleaned up her vent and brought her inside. I'm worried I've waited too long to learn about chicken health. I bought some durvet vitamins and electrolytes and blue-kote for the irritation, sould i use them? yogurt? antibiotics? help!! please.

2. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    Dairy products usually make them have the runs so I'm not sure you want to stress her system more. If you have cleaned it up and have her in a safe warm place she may stabolize. Sometimes doing too much makes us feel better but puts additional taxes on their system. Good luck! Also... I think most people would say try to wait till it's a bit more stable before worming but I'm no expert!

3. Barnacle

Barnacle New Egg

May 6, 2011
    Thanks, for the post... she's doing awesome now. The wormer and a break from the coop is just what the doctor ordered...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by