Sick X moving through other birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rwwjsw, May 24, 2010.

1. rwwjsw

rwwjsw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    I have 12 Cornish X Friday I found one dead and it had what looked to be some of its intestines hanging out of its butt got another one yesterday that does not look to good sound like it is sneezing and when I picked it up a white foamy substance came out of it butt, does anyone have any ideas he does not eat just lays around, now I have a 3rd laying around but he is eating just lays down and eats I took them out and away from the others seems to be moving through my birds any help would be appreciated.

2. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    It sounds like they are too hot. This can lead to congestive heart failure and yeast infections. When they expel their intestines like that is can be caused by overeating. Are they outside, do they have shade, or in a brooder, how old are they and what are you feeding them?

Cut feed back to 10-12 hour a day, water 24 hour a day. Give them some sour milk, yogurt, acidophilus or butter milk mixed with equal parts of their dry feed each morning (for 7 days) before putting their feed back to them for that day. The probiotics in it will take care of most intestinal infections/diseases.

If you don’t care about using chemicals (drugs) there are a number of them that would do the job. I don’t use them so I can’t help much with them.

If they are inside use a fan to circulate the air for them. Moving air is always cooler. Be careful not to have it blowing directly on them if they are younger than 2 weeks old-it will dehydrate them quickly.

Good luck!

3. rwwjsw

rwwjsw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    They are a couple of months old got them in a large barn where I keep my other chickens in their own stall. Normally there is a good amount of air movement except for the dead summer, right now with the cloudy and rainy weather it has been pretty cool in there, not to say it might not be to hot, I keep the large door open and windows open so there is air movement.
    They have water all the time, I am feeding them med. chick starter with some cracked corn mixed in it. I am not keeping continuous food out for them I feed them every evening giving them about 3x the amount I give the other chicks that I have which are about the same age and less than ½ the size I am trying to keep from getting to big to fast like the ones I had last year did.
    I will bring in a fan this evening and put in the barn to help move some air.
    Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by