Sick young chicken, please help before it's too late.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eliseny, Sep 5, 2014.

1. eliseny

eliseny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    Hi, I posted a few weeks ago about 2 sick chicks, both of which have not been acting right since we got them. One has since passed away. The other one just been quiet and kept to herself since we got her but was all hunched up looking miserable when I last posted. I was advised to treat the whole flock for coccidiosis, so I got Corid and treated them for 5 days. She might have gotten a tiny bit better, but if so, not noticeably any better. She is now even worse and spends her days hunched up, hardly moving, by herself. I am worried I am going to find her dead tomorrow morning. If not, I might have to have my husband put her out of her misery tomorrow. I just feel so bad for her and don't want her to suffer anymore. So, this is a last plea for help before that happens. Anything else I can do for this bird? Please help. :(

Here is a picture. This is how she looks all day.

[​IMG]

2. eliseny

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    Forgot to say, that she is also just not thriving at all. She is about the same size as she was a month and a half ago when we got them.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She looks typical of a chick with coccidiosis....I would continue with the corid for another few days...so sorry you are going through this...Good luck!

4. eliseny

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    Thanks. I will continue the Corid and cross my fingers.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I will ask eggcessive to look at this thread and see if she has better advice for you...hang in there...she is online now..I will pm her!

6. eliseny

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    Thank you!!!

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What was the dose of Corid you were putting in the water?

8. eliseny

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    1 1/2 tsp. per gallon.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your chick not improving. I agree with the other on repeating the Corid, and I would use the maximum dosage of 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. You may need to syringe feed or dropper feed the medication. If using the liquid Corid, it is easy to give a drop or two of undiluted Corid by mouth a couple of times a day to boost the dosage if not drinking well. Also sprinkle some of it on the feed to make an oatmeal consistency. If a vet is possible, you may want to get a stool sample tested for cocci and possible clostridium perfringens, which is a cause of enteritis.

10. eliseny

Jul 15, 2014
    CNY
    Thanks for the reply. I did use that dosage last time but I will do it again. I put Corid-treated water in there before I closed them up for the night and she took a pretty good drink. She is eating, too, thankfully. Is it possible to overdose if I add it to her food too? I might have to talk hubby into letting me keep her in the house for a bit so everyone else doesn't pick on her and so I can get a stool sample. I do have some vet connections, they're not avian but I'm sure they'd look at a stool sample for me anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by