Sick, young, Delaware Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fudo, Oct 1, 2013.

1. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    I have a 11.5 week old Delaware pullet. Our chickens are free range, on grass and other weeds. I give fresh water night and morning. they also have access to Dumor chicken crumbles. it has been between 45f at night and 75f during the days. no rain, no wind, no hot, sweltering sun.

Two nights ago, she was unintentionally left out of the coop. We found her out in the yard in the next morning. She was generally fine, no outward signs of injury, but as the day progressed we noticed that she was walking very slowly and had her feathers puffed out. I sat and watched her for a bit...while watching her, i noticed her poop was clear. When i had picked her up earlier, she felt very skinny and her crop was huge! i massaged it a bit. it did not seem hard. it was pliable and the food in there moved around freely. last night she seemed a bit better and she got into the coop by herself. This morning she was in one of the nesting boxes on the floor of the coop. when the other girls went out, she stayed in. we brought her in at that point and put her in a pet crate fed her food mash, put food and water in front of her. There has been relatively little change in her condition. she does not move around the crate. she eats unenthusiastically. She does appear to be dehydrated - her skin is not elastic and the skin on the bottom of her feet does not feel soft or pliable.

now that she is inside on paper, i can see her poop better it is definitely very liquid, it has very little bits of solid brown in it, no signs of worms. it looks sort of like this (http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Aunt__Sally/Poo/Watery.jpg).

any thoughts, insights would be appreciated!

-Jill

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At her age, not eating well, puffed up and lethargic with diarrhea, usually means coccidiosis. I would treat her with Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine 2 tsp liquid to 1 gallon of water for 5 days. It also comes in powder (use 1 to 1 1/2 tsp per gallon.)You can repeat the treatment at 1/2 strength after that, or wait a week between treatments. It will not hurt her and I would treat all of the chickens since it is contagious.

3. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    where can i purchase it? We have a TSC near our house. that is about it. We have a couple local large animal vets who could probably if i could not get it anywhere else... any advice would be appreciated!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    I received your comments about a half hour after our feed store closed so, i called a friend of ours that has a farm... of course, they had some! I drove over and got it. Her water bowl has it at your recommended dosage of 2tsp per gallon and all of our water bowls now have Corid in them at 1 tsp per gallon. Thank you for your very quick responses to my questions. Will post updates tomorrow!

6. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    she was much better this morning - is eating and standing. her head is slightly up and she talked to us when we came into the room... all signs that she is heading back toward normal.

thank you!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Glad to hear she is a little better.

8. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Her appetite is back tonight as well.

9. fudo

fudo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    Yesterday, our dear girl took a sudden turn for the worse and died within hours. I can't say that I know what it was that took her. She was eating, and drinking yesterday and appeared to be getting better/stronger....then all of a sudden in the evening, her condition was back to where she was on Tuesday and she died a bit after that. thank you for all of your advice. I am finishing up the course of Corid for the remainder of my flock. Hoping things get better around here soon.

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I too recently lost three birds in two weeks due to a respitory illness that would not respond to either baytril injectable or tylan injectable or tylamox water soluble. I was trying all I could. I even tube fed. Sadly they lost their fight. I know what your going through. Its so hard to loose a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you. Again I'm so sorry. ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by