1. kauff

kauff New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    I have a bird who is sick. At first we thought she hurt her leg because she couldn't walk on it. When she would step down she would curl all her toes and then fall over. Now she is weak and her poop is a liquid yellowish color. I've brought her into the house to separate her from the other birds. I don't know what to do. She is still eating but she's very weak and sleeps all the time. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is she? What has she been eating? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would immediately give her fluids with poultry vitamins, including riboflavin. Offer her some soft egg and her regular feed. Adding water to her feed might get her to take more fluids.

3. kauff

kauff New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    She is almost 5 months old, unvaccinated, she free ranges so I can't say exactly what she's been eating but my other birds are all fine (I have 3 more chickens, 7 guinea hens, and 3 ducks). We got her some vitamins and are watering down her feed. When u got home from work and did stand up which she hasn't done at all the past two days, but I dying know if that means anything. She was real wobbly on her feet and her poop is still pretty liquid.

4. kauff

kauff New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Nevermind she died while I was at work today :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry that she died. She could have been dehydrated, suffering from vitamin deficiency, possible coccidiosis, or being kept from food and water by the other chickens. Mareks is also a possibility at that age. Unless you refrigerated her body, it is probably too late to send her in to the state vet for a necropsy to look for a cause. If you see any other sick birds, let us know. Here is a good link for finding the state vet:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by