1. michaelapop127

michaelapop127 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Adams Massachusetts
    I recently got a leghorn bantam I was told is about 2 years old. It's been about a week since I've had her. She has declined in the last day or two. She has a large bare spot from her vent to her bellyand the few feather points that were there were caked with poop when I got her and yesterday soaked her and clipped the feathers applied bag balm and a poultry wound spray. I have not seen her pick her own feathers since I've had her. I assumed she was picked on greatly she was kept in a small run with two Roos and maybe a dozen other hens. Her being the only bantam. I took her out of the coop and gave her some meal worms and feed, offered water with acv and offered yogurt. She seems to peck and forage fine I've been watching her eat grass and drink water and she has been laying an egg everyday. She has clear/white liquid poo along with some somewhat solid ones. When she lays and egg a lot of this white clear mucus comes out before and some after. While outside she will peck a bit and then just stand there like this all puffed up eyes closed for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Some of my girls look like that when they are sleeping.

So you put her in your regular coop without quarantine to ensure she didn't give anything to the rest of your flock?

Those bare spots on her chest could be from being broody. Sounds like havoc at the other place though. [​IMG]

You could also offer electrolytes. Recipe is 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 cups warm water. White sugar can be substituted. Give full strength.

Also, a boiled smashed egg is easy to digest with lots of nutrients and they usually love it. [​IMG] If you keep her inside for very long, she may need some dirt brought in for digestion.

How did you integrate her into your flock? Is she being accepted or picked on? Moving is hard for chickens. They are creatures of habit. And a stress like that can reduce the immune system and she is still trying to build immunity to the things in your yard that may not have been present in hers previously, which is another good reason for quarantine.

Not sure if that poo indicates anything. But it's good that you included in your post because it is a huge diagnostic tool.

Hope she feels better! [​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She looks sick to me. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I agree she looks sick.

A visit to my vet is $45, just for information or comparison. They are very reasonable compared to some other places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by