1. 98Luna

98Luna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    My 6-7 week old chick Grizelda is acting weird. She (i hope a she) is stretching her neck out to breathe and constantly shakes her head. She did this a few days ago and then got better, but now its back. Any way I can fix this?
    Also, she makes a really hoarse chirping sound instead of a squeaky one like the others.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If it is gapeworm, you can take a q-tip and swab her throat. There will be blood on the cotton if they are present.
    They'll also shake their heads stretch their necks/gape to breathe if they're having respiratory issues. The hoarse sound could be something fungal.
    Have you noticed anything like wet bedding or mold in the coop. Does she have a runny nose, discharge from her eyes, sneezing, coughing, weird poop, ect? Have you looked her over for external parasites?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Does she have access to grit?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Gapeworm isn't all that common and I'd be very surprised to see it in such a young bird. Certainly not impossible but I'd be surprised.

I would check to see if the bedding is dusty or has wet spots. I was also wondering the same as ten chicks, if the chicks have access to grit? And do you have older birds on the property?

6. 98Luna

Jun 18, 2013
    I have older birds, a larger flock of seven, previously eight until last week. I don't feed them grit, but they run around outside the coop for about 45 mins a day, scratching around. I don't think it could be gapeworm, none of my others have had it, but I'll check later. I did clean out the coop yesterday afternoon, it was a bit damp. I'm hoping that fixes it.
    They are fed layer pellets, parrot/chick pellets, bread and pretty much a share of what my other flock eats.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Have any of your older birds ever shown signs of respiratory illness, whether recently or in the past?

8. 98Luna

Jun 18, 2013
    nope, never as long as I've had them.

9. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    How is she doing?[​IMG]

10. 98Luna

Jun 18, 2013
    Good, she looks completely healthy at the moment, but I still have my eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by