Sickly 2 year old SLW

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momto12, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    My best laying SLW is very lethargic and has NO color in her comb or wattle. She just lays in the corner. I put her in a crate with clean bedding, food and water and brought her inside. What else can I do. The other girls look fine.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure where you live, but chickens can get paler combs in winter when there is less daylight, or if they have been molting. Mites or worms could also cause anemia. Being lethargic though, she is obviously sick. Is she having diarrhea, or is she eating and drinking? Is her crop flat and empty, or is it full and hard or balloon-like in early morning? Has she been laying eggs?

3. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm in Texas and although we have had some unusually cold days this winter certainly nothing like Ohio. The days are getting longer and much warmer. The other chickens combs and wattles are normal. When I got home from work this afternoon I found her huddled in the coop in a corner. Last night she was in the nest box at "dark thirty" With all the chicken poop I can't tell what her poop is like nor can I tell if she is laying or not. Egg production has just this past week resumed from 0 per day to 3 a day and I have 12 mature hens. Since I have isolated her maybe I can determine what her body functions are.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So many hens get egg yolk peritonitis or have internal laying problems because the hatcheries breed for super egg layers. That can show up around 2 years old, and can cause weight loss, odd stools, and swelling in the lower abdomen.

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Has she been treat for worms with safeguard and treated for lice/mites?

6. Momto12

Momto12 New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Maybe that is it. She made it thru the weekend and I put her back in the coop. She is hanging on but either stays on the nest or the roost doesn't bother to leave the coop. When I took her back I felt around for what I though might be egg bound and gently squeezed and OMG all the green, stinky "water" that squirted all over me.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She needs to be kept warm. Check her crop as well. Green poop can mean starvation. Did you do an internal vent exam for an egg, check for lumps inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by