Sickly Auracana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweeters, Jan 31, 2015.

1. sweeters

sweeters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Our favorite little hen has fallen ill. We looked up some things on the internet last night and found out she has sour crop. We made her vomit up the stuff and massaged her crop to get it all out. I gave her some vitamin water and olive oil to get things moving. She has not are or drank anything since yesturday. We put her in a small cage in our basement with a heat lamp to keep her warm and comfortable. This morning I went down to check on her and she was resting. I gave her some more of the olive oil and alternated that with vitamin water and plain water to get her hydrated. She's very week and skinny. I've read about giving red wine and yogurt, but I don't have any on hand right now. I do however have some Corid. Would that be okay to treat the sour crop? It's an antibiotic right? She won't eat or drink on her own at this point and is very lethargic. I don't know what else I can do for her at this point. Any advice would be appreciated at this point. I'm afraid she going to die and we would like to do all we can to save her.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would not give her straight olive oil. I would get some chick/en feed and make a mush out of it with water and make it more wet than dry. Try taking your finger and swiping some on the side of her beak.

With sour crop sometimes it's secondary to another problem.

3. sweeters

sweeters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    This is all new to me. I've never had to deal with a sick hen. I've given her vitamin water, olive oil, yogurt, red wine, plain water and the red wine made her finally poop. She seemed a little better after that. I've been able to induce vomiting but cannot extract all the grain in her crop. She's so week and tired. She will not eat or drink on her own. I've done all I can think of short of taking her to a vet. I haven't tried Corid. I don't even know if I should give her that cuz I don't think she has coccodidiosis. Would it be safe? Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by