Sickly baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DreamStone, Mar 30, 2015.

1. DreamStone

DreamStone Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Picked up my girls from the hatchery today. All are doing great but my buckeye. She doesn't have here eyes open all the way, panting, staying right under the heat lamp (the others are happily playing around the lamp) we have been dipping her beak in electrolyte water but she seems very unstable. No pasty butt. Going to separate her so she doesnt get trampled (still going to keep her under the lamp though)

Any suggestions? Just hatched this morning.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    If she just hatched this morning, she is still absorbing yolk sac, not ready to eat/drink just yet. The other chicks probably hatched yesterday, roughly. Good that electrolytes are on hand just incase she needs a little help. [​IMG]

3. DreamStone

Mar 3, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio

We gave her some eyedropper electrolyte water tonight and she loved it. Opened her eyes a couple minutes but they are mostly closed. At least she's not stuck on her back if she falls anymore. She seems like she's got plenty of fight in her.

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    She'll probably be up and spritely tomorrow! [​IMG]

5. DreamStone

Mar 3, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    [​IMG]

She's doing better, going to check on her in a little bit (at work now). She opened her eyes again a little while this morning and nibbled some food. Much more steady on her feet today.
    Cautiously optimistic!

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    How wonderful! Hopefully today, she'll learn where the food and water is from the others. I bet she'll be like all the rest when you get home! (incase she isn't, dip her beak in water and food to be sure she gets the idea).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by