Sickly Chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Matilda hen, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    Hello , looking for a bit of advice , I have a 4 month old Scots DumpyXRIR here , and he's gotten very ill....yesterday , he was grand , but not his usual springy self , but nothing alarming , thismorning , the only reason he was standing , is becaue his legs are too short to topple! His heads droopy , he had diahriaa , sleepy all the time , very weak and off balance , but really thirsty , all the chickens have access to food and water at all times , so I think his brood mates may have been pushing him out , without me noticing? He's in my room now for a while , and he is a little under weight , which he wasn't a while ago , so he has started getting a small bit better with his water bottle , lots of water , and porridge , we havn't been able to get layers pellets , as the store closed for christmas , without us knowing! grr! So , what would the best thing to feed him be , and what can I do until the vet re-opens? Also , he isnt showing intrest in eating , can I encourage? And what is this illness? All advice welcome for lil Memphis! Thankyou.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Layer feed isn't good for chicks, it has a high calcium level and can cause internal problems-- sometimes death. Does your feed store carry chick starter? Hard boiled egg (smashed) is what I have fed. Go to the feed store ASAP when it opens again.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    I've always fed them layers pellets (16%) it's how I rear them , and has never caused problems , I start them off on it at 6 weeks , and they are always fine , He dies thismorning anyway , and 2 others are sick , i did some research...It looks like it's either markes disease , or newcastle disease! I'm terrified it is , if so , the whole flock must be culled , which im not doing! I'll have them comforted for death if needed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by