1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sickly chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ArkSouthernChic, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ArkSouthernChic

ArkSouthernChic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    One of the light brahmas i got is acting lethargic and stands most of the time, but does lay down sometimes with the others, its eating and drinking but just not as much as the others do, it just acts slower and sleeps more than they do, and its the smallest one of the bunch.

2. ArkSouthernChic

Feb 25, 2015
    [​IMG]. Here's a pic of her

3. ArkSouthernChic

Feb 25, 2015
    She also has pasty butt, but that seems to be getting better, could that be the only thing thats causing her all the trouble?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She's a little doll. Do you watch her with the others? Maybe they are too big and rough for her and she is getting bumped or stepped on. Do they bully her at all or keep her away from the feed and water.? Does she prefer to be under the heat lamp( may be cold) or away from it (too hot). She might do better if you could use a wire partition to give her an area with the chicks but, safe from the crowd. A mirror and a stuffed animal would make good company for her. Some people add a bit of apple cider vinegar to the water. If you put "pasty butt," in the search box, you will find lots of suggestions.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! X2 with drumstick diva. Also if she is the runty one of the bunch the others will find it very easy to pick on her and bully her out of the food and water. I had a runty one in my last hatch showing similar symptoms to yours. Good luck with her and hope she is up to 100% soon.

Enjoy BYC :frow

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

You've received some good advice already. She may need some extra attention to become normal and healthy. You may want to give her extra food (my chicks love moistened chick feed!) to make sure that the others aren't bullying her. I would also consider adding vitamins and electrolytes to the water.

Good luck with the chick!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your chick is OK.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

X2 on Wyandottes7's advice. For more answers, I would recommend posting in the Emergencies section of the forums: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures Good luck with the chick!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Hope she heals! She is very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by