Sickly chick

ChickenNugget89

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
I got my first batch of chicks yesterday, never had chickens before. My favorite chick, Mumble, has an injury/bulge right below its eye that I've been treating, and also I've noticed a lot of poop stuck to its bottom. I drained the bubble on its face and applied neosporin (the bulge was affecting the eye and mouth). What should I do about its bottom? He/she is the biggest of all the chicks, but the bulge on its face was affecting the mouth so it could have limited the feed intake. I just want my chicks to be happy and healthy.

You need to clean the poop from its backside..clean with betadine solution in water or use some kitchen towel soaked in water to clear any poop...are your chicks on "starter feed" ? Do not give them any treats at this stage.

They are on an organic, non gmo starter feed. At the feed store they were on a different type of feed but it had a bunch of processed crap in it so I wanted a healthier mix. No treats yet and mumble is the only one out of the 6 that is having problems. Will he/she hate me if I keep messing with it to get it healthy?

I had a chick that got pasty butt and easyist thing to do was take cotton balls and a small cup get them wet in warm water you can iodine in a cup just a drop or so for disinfect and will help any rash it might have from poop acid. soak the area good then rub gently to Remove stubborn stuff and keep soaking till clean enough and try not to get the chick wet anywhere else. Rub on Vaseline around vent.
Just be gentle and let it rest in under the heat lamp with buddies then you can love on it later. After it has rested and dried.

I got as much poop off as I could, and put neosporin on the area because it looks a bit raw. Anything else I can do?

1427712399941_zpsidsurvik.jpg

I got as much poop off as I could, and put neosporin on the area because it looks a bit raw. Anything else I can do?

1427712399941_zpsidsurvik.jpg

is the yellow poop? or something im seeing in light maybe.. well looks like ya got it cleaned up. Change in feed can give diarrhea but give the save a chick in water and you should be ok .. (my thoughts) im sure other more experienced peeps can help you. I hope he/she continues to do better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom