Sickly Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Staatski, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Staatski

Staatski New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    I'm new to back yard chickens and I really need some help in trying to diagnose my chicken, Pattie...she has been losing feathers , which I thought was molting but she is now getting bare spots. This morning she came out of the coop walking quite wobbily and sideways she looks really bad with her bare spots. Pattie hasn't been eating much or laying lately...she's only 1 year old. I have no idea what this could be. Has anyone experienced this with there chickens? Any insight out there from a more eggsperienced chicken owner?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    My Ellie is molting badly, not eating well and walking sideways too!
    Keep her warm, dry, and really comfortable to help her through this. You might want to check the thread on Ellie for other info on what I've been doing to try to help her, along with ideas from other folks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=254639

Please keep us posted on Pattie - hope she'll be okay, poor dear.
    JJ

3. Staatski

Staatski New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Thanks JJ, I just read Ellie's story....quite similar. I didn't think there would be bare spots in the molting process and it is getting quite cold in the evening/nights now. I'll get the heat light out and keep her warm. The walking sideways is what really concerns me. I have two other hens who are in the beginings of molting but are not at the stage Pattie is and they are not walking sideways. I'll keep an eye on her. How long has Ellie been in this state?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by