Sickly Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mwells, Nov 8, 2016.

1. mwells

mwells Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    I recently purchased 4 hens. After a day their combs became pale, one became very lethargic. Now they all have pale combs, lethargic, under weight from not eating, swollen and watery eyes, and had worms. I treated for worms, gave them electrolytes, vitamins, VetRx, Nutri-drench, oatmeal, fresh herbs, and put them under a heat lamp. Only one has been able to reopen her eyes and moves around much better. I have gotten two to finally eat without having to be forced with a syringe. They were also not drinking any water so I had to force that too. I am not sure if there will end being a positive outcome but I'm trying. I plan on giving them a scrambled egg later tofay to get protein in them. Anything else I can try? I hate seeing them like this. Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have other birds besides the new ones? Be sure to keep the new ones in quarantine away from any others. How old are these chickens? Are they old enough to molt? Swollen and watery eyes can be a symptom of mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Is there any nasal drainage, wheezing, or a bad odor? Paleness can be a result of molting, worms, mites, or respiratory problems. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable or tetracyclines are commonly used to treat respiratory diseases, and can be found at most feedstores. Many will disappear off shelves at the end of 2016. Respiratory diseases can be complicated by secondary infections, E.coli, fungal infections, and others. They also make carriers of a flock for life, so not a good idea to mix them into a healthy flock. Try feeding them chicken feed mixed with a lot of water and a little plain probiotic yogurt. Egg, tuna, and liver are usually welcomed. Poultry vitamins can be added to bump up nutrition. What did you use for worming? Here is a good link to read about symptoms and diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. mwells

mwells Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016

They were all quarantined but now that 2 have gotten better and we're moving around again we had to put them back with the rest. The area we had them in wasnt bug enough for them to move around that much. We are making a new pen for them this weekend so they can stay separated. I couldn't remember which wormer I used but what I described to someone else they said it was Safeguard. They are about 1.5yrs old.They did have nasal drainage but it gave them all electrolytes, vitamins, and used VetRx in case of respiratory issues. The drainage has stopped. The two hens that still can't open their eyes smell a little bad. They also had worms, found some in their poop when they pooped in their water.

4. mwells

mwells Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016
    I checked their mouth for puss and there isn't any that I could see but they put up a good fight before I could look.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In the link in post 2, infectious coryza can cause a bad odor, swollen eyes, and nasal and eye drainage. I would not recommend adding chickens with coryza to my flock. Testing can be available through a local extension agent, a vet, or the state dept. of agriculture. Mycoplasma can also cause some of thise symptoms, and is more common in some backyard flocks, and is treated with Tylan or oxytetracycline. VetRx is an herbal oil medicine, and honestly will not treat either of those diseases. Many chickens survive these diseases, but you can consider your flock as carriers for life. Both diseases disappear withing days, once the birds are culled, and no carriers are left. Sorry that you got some sick birds and are dealing with this.

6. mwells

mwells Just Hatched

Nov 8, 2016

We are going to be treating them tonight with Tylan. The odor has disappeared already and 2 out of 4 hens have went back to normal. The 2 with swollen eyes have increased in appetite and gaining weight. The nasal drainage is gone also. Hopefully once they can open their eyes they will be back to normal. I'm sure when we first got them didn't help since it was a colder day and they were in a cage in the back of a truck. They looked pretty chilly so we drove as slow as we could for them.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable and Tylan Soluble Powder are good for treating symptoms of respiratory diseases. Testing would be good to do, or get a necropsy on one if you lose any, just to make sure of the diagnosis. Mycoplasma (MG) can look a lot like coryza. Most state vets or poultry labs do ncecropsies, and they can tell you how to get tested locally. Let us know how they get along. Here is a link for that:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by