Sickly chicks - Cocci?

kat_and_hens

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Maine
Hi everyone,

I just got chicks in the mail, delivered on Tuesday from mypetchicken.com. Two arrived dead. One passed away on Wednesday. Today, another seems really poorly. Same symptoms as the one who passed: not eating, drinking, lethargic and puffed up and weak.

I thought they may have been injured in transit, or failure to thrive, but maybe it’s Coccidosis? I have a photo of poop, but there is no blood. Just watery.

do you think this is worth treating with Corid?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 753C0F16-F93C-4A24-8FE4-612A329E3DD4.jpeg
    753C0F16-F93C-4A24-8FE4-612A329E3DD4.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 15
It's probably shipping stress. Shipping is really hard on chicks, & those with shipping stress don't always make it.

Best thing to do on the first day of arrival is set up warm vitamin, & electrolyte water, & get them heated up.

It's probably shipping stress. Shipping is really hard on chicks, & those with shipping stress don't always make it.

Best thing to do on the first day of arrival is set up warm vitamin, & electrolyte water, & get them heated up.
Hi! Thanks for replying. We did all that. We have Nutri-Drench and have given that. It brought one chick back from the edge, but didn’t help another that ended up passing away. I gave a couple doses to this little one today, I hope it helps.

Does the poop look normal to you?

Hi! Thanks for replying. We did all that. We have Nutri-Drench and have given that. It brought one chick back from the edge, but didn’t help another that ended up passing away. I gave a couple doses to this little one today, I hope it helps.

Yes, the poop looks normal.
Sometimes they just can't be saved. I dealt with shipping stress with my first round of chicks this year, & lost 4 of 8. I wasn't happy.

My five week olds are on their last round of corid right now.

Chicks can get Coccidiosis as early as 3 weeks, & they can get it from the wood chips used for bedding.

Hi everyone,

I just got chicks in the mail, delivered on Tuesday from mypetchicken.com. Two arrived dead. One passed away on Wednesday. Today, another seems really poorly. Same symptoms as the one who passed: not eating, drinking, lethargic and puffed up and weak.

I thought they may have been injured in transit, or failure to thrive, but maybe it’s Coccidosis? I have a photo of poop, but there is no blood. Just watery.

do you think this is worth treating with Corid?

thanks in advance!

Are these bantams? Looks tiny and poops are tiny too.

How warm are you keeping the brooder? Got photos of the whole brooder set-up?

Really too young for Coccidiosis.

I would focus on warmth, hydration and give the PND at 2-3 drops twice a day.
Sometimes chicks struggle eating crumble-it's just too big to manage. Soak some chick starter in warm water for 15-30 minutes and offer them some wet feed.

Are these bantams? Looks tiny and poops are tiny too.

How warm are you keeping the brooder? Got photos of the whole brooder set-up?

Really too young for Coccidiosis.

I would focus on warmth, hydration and give the PND at 2-3 drops twice a day.
Sometimes chicks struggle eating crumble-it's just too big to manage. Soak some chick starter in warm water for 15-30 minutes and offer them some wet feed.

they are not bantams; they are four days old. The black one in the photo is a Fauvacana (we have two of those). The others we got are two cream Legbars, two lavender Orpingtons (one of which died), and two Easter Eggers (who both arrived dead).

Brooder is an EcoGlow.The thermometer shows it’s about 95 degrees under there. The room they’re in is kept at 75 degrees. We are keeping them in an old trunk that a friend converted to use as a brooder - I will take a photo of the set up in the morning. It has good ventilation on top - a big hole cut in and covered with hardware mesh, and a plexiglass window in the side to see them. There is a little hole in the side of the trunk for the EcoGlow cord. They are on paper towels for now to make clean up easier.

my husband put out mashed up crumbles tonight - will report back if they ate any! Thanks for replying!

The poop looks normal to me! Mine had watery poop for sure for the first few weeks. Make sure it’s also not too hot, but sounds like the temps are right. Are your other chicks acting behaviorally normal?
On the first day, one Orpington was super weak and lethargic. We brought that one back to normal with electrolyte water, egg yolk and nutri-drench. Since then she’s been acting textbook. The second Orpington, who was fine on day 1, was lethargic on day 2 and was dead by the night. Day 3 (today) is when this little Fauvacana starting displaying symptoms. So we will have to see how it goes....

The two Legbars, the other Fauvacana, and the recovered Orpington are all acting normal and energetic.

On the first day, one Orpington was super weak and lethargic. We brought that one back to normal with electrolyte water, egg yolk and nutri-drench. Since then she’s been acting textbook. The second Orpington, who was fine on day 1, was lethargic on day 2 and was dead by the night. Day 3 (today) is when this little Fauvacana starting displaying symptoms. So we will have to see how it goes....

The two Legbars, the other Fauvacana, and the recovered Orpington are all acting normal and energetic.
Mine had the same symptoms I gave it a lot of electrolytes and it pulled thru after a week but good luck! :fl

unfortunately the Fauvacana passed away in the night 😭 all the rest look healthy. I will keep up the electrolyte water and nutri-drench to support them post-shipping.

Back
Top Bottom