Sickly Chicky (con't)

MamaEmma

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2016
First off, I apologize if I am not giving the info correctly or posting in the right place. I am new to ByC and to using these threads so I am probably making alot of mistakes. But we love our girls and want to keep them safe and there is no avian vet near us and I need help. I started this thread as "sickly chicky" and people kept suggesting that I move it, (which I am not sure how to do) so I am just moving my next reply to here hoping you all can search for and read the other previous posts.
As of last night, we've given Pepper (23wk Silver Laced Wyandotte) 2 rounds of the spa treatment outlined on "fresh eggs daily" for an egg bound hen because we had no idea what was stuck in her vent. Further research leads me to believe it was/is a shell-less egg (something rubbery looking sticking out, blocking her vent). She had no objection to the bath and blow dry. We no longer saw the protrusion and her vent and abdomen feel soft, no bulging. And as soon as we put her in the crate she went poo but it was very runny w/ one small solid and it looked like maybe a little blood :-(

The next was similar but a little more solid.

And these are the next 3 poos from between midnite and 8 a.m. moving from R to L, the most recent being all solid. (the pink in this photo is a dye on the towel, not from Pepper's body)

She is drinking water and eating a little food this am. Last night (before the spa) we gave her Nutri-drench and she had water available all night but no food till about 8, she began to eat almost immediately.

Here she is right now.

As soon as I took that picture, she started falling asleep. She is standing there, head and tail down, eyes closed.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm worried for no reason... should I put her back out with the others?

Hello and sorry you've been having problems. I've read through your other threads and my first question is did you ever see that piece of shell (or whatever it is) come out? If not I would be seriously worried that it's still in there. Maybe she is just exhausted from her ordeal and not eating well for a couple of days but that last pic tail and head down,eyes closed looks like a very ill chicken to me. Were you ever able to lube her vent and insert a finger to gently probe? If not I suggest you do so asap. Provide some mashed boiled egg to try to get some protein in her. Did you give her any calcium (or tums)? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to catch up so you can get some more feedback. Let us know.

I never did see it. But if she expelled it out in the chicken yard, it would be hard to find. We don't have tums. But I have given her Nutri-drench which has calcium in it. She is alternating between eating and sleeping this morning. Eat for 20-30 mins, drink some h2o, sleep, repeat. (from abour 8-now) She's up eating now. (I am boiling an egg for her) Is that normal recovery behavior?

I did but I only had coconut oil at the time. So I didn't probe very far (up to first knuckle). I have some water based lubricant now so I can try again. I don't want to be gross but, I mean, how far in should I probe?
Should I give her some more Nutri-drench?

Yes I would keep up with the nutri drench. Do your chickens get layers feed and/or have access to oyster shell or crushed egg shells for calcium? As for inserting finger in vent if she is not a banty (can't tell from pic) then up to second knuckle. The concern about a rubber egg breaking inside is with infection. do you have access to any antibiotics for her? I think since she is still acting off I would do a round of antibiotics if she was my chicken. Do you know if she has laid since you first noticed her problem?

They are on layer feed and there is a bowl of oyster shell out there as well. I don't know if she laid yet or not. The other SLW (same age & breeder) has been consistently laying 5-6 eggs/wk for 3 wks. We had 2 huge (64 & 65 grams) on Sept 4 and Sept 5, but didn't know who laid them. I found her in the nesting box on the 6th and that's when I noticed she was a bit off. She weighs about 3 1/2 #'s (as of last night) but I don't think she'd be considered a bantam. But I'm new at this...
Can I powder (grind) the egg shell and mix it with the egg?

Here she is after the probe and another dose of Nutri-drench. I didn't feel anything but poo. So.... I don't know... She ate 2/3 the boiled egg/crushed shell mix and is falling asleep again.

She's still resting quietly in the crate. She ate the egg (w/ shell) I gave her plus some feed and is drinking water. She's had 2 more poos -both are normal looking except the color is green and white now instead of usual back/brown and white...

Back
Top Bottom