Sickly Duck! help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nokturhn, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nokturhn

Nokturhn New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    I'm very new to this site and i need help. I have a full grown duck. a farm duck? I'm not sure of the name. it's white. And i'm very concerned. lately she hasnt been able to stand up or walk. she lays on her stomach and has her feet sticking out behind her. and what bothers me the most is that while this is happening, her neck looks crooked and she keeps jerking it back and forth from time to time. im really worried.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Many things could be causing this. Need more info: age, habitat, diet?

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Did she eat something toxic.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be an injury, could be eggbound, could be toxicity (including hardware disease).

What are you doing with her now? I would bring her in, get her into a lukewarm tub of water deep enough to float in, watch, and let us know what else you can tell us.

How many drakes in the flock? Other animals?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. Nokturhn

Nokturhn New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    As for her age she is less than a year old but has all of her white feathers already
    her habitat is okay.. a spacious backyard with dirt,grass,plants,trees, and her own pool
    And for her diet, i usually just give her normal duck scratch? From pet stores.
    she is still acting the same and i don't really know what to do with her, me and my family just leave food bowls beside her and let her rest all day
    occasionaly putting her in her pool to cool down as well. She's the only duck that i have so, no
    no drakes
    i have a cat, but she hardly bothers my duck
    and would most likely never attack her.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Did you try the bath like Amiga suggested? The only other thing that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is: is she lonely perhaps? How long have you had her?

8. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Was she always alone? Maybe she injured herself recently. Has she been having eggs on regular basis she could be egg bound. Any case I'd bring her in Luke warm bath as Amiga suggested make sure she drinking plenty you could add electrolytes to water. Make sure she can stand so you can rule out leg injury. Her breed is most likely a pekin. Hope she makes full recovery soon.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looking at the description again I suspect she is eggbound.

Is the duck scratch a layer pellet, or scratch? The scratch is not a good primary food for ducks, especially laying ducks. Get her into the tub, you may need to hold her head to keep her from drowning. The water needs to be lukewarm, not cold.

Also, get some calcium gluconate. It is sold in some feed stores for treating milk fever. Put 1 tablespoon in a cup and a half of water and see if you can get her to drink it. Sometimes low calcium increases the risk of being egg bound.

10. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Go with Amiga's advice, I think that is your best course of Tx now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by