Sickly Duckling??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by croddey19, Feb 20, 2015.

1. croddey19

croddey19 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    We've recently got 4 Pekin ducklings. They are about 2 weeks old now. Three are doing well and thriving but I have one little guy or gal (we keep calling it at boy) that first I noticed at their nightly swim in the tub that he didn't want to swim with the others. He was basically just floating and trying to fall asleep. I clean their bedding out while they swim and my husband watches them. Normally, once they have nice clean bedding and clean water / food the first thing they do is go eat. Well, he didn't want to eat. He just went and laid down and went to sleep. The next day I found him with one of his feet lifted up and he would keep pecking at it. He didn't want to walk on it. I was pretty sure that he wasn't going to make it through the day. So, I cried and cried. After I had my crying fit I called all of my local vets and no one in my area handles ducks. The closest person is almost an hour and a half away. So, I did the next best thing, I went online. We've added the probiotics & electrolytes to his water and have moved him to his own bed - I started to noticed that it looked like the other ducks were picking on him. I have noticed that he is a lot smaller and his feet are not as big as the others. I wasn't sure if he was a "runt" of the group. After the probiotics & electrolytes he appears to be a little better. My husband has been giving him boiled eggs. Also, his feet have been peeling. Anyone experienced this or maybe have any suggestions? I REALLY don't want to lose this little guy. I know it's the fact of life but if he make it he will definitely be our little special one!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Check his legs - ducklings often come with leg bands, and their legs grow very quickly. Sometimes a band slides up the leg and causes serious injury.

If they have been fed chick starter, get them some niacin.

Either niacin capsules added to water - 150 mg niacin per gallon of drinking water, for eight weeks, or

Two tablespoons per day of brewer's yeast (not baking yeast, brewer's), a supplement. Sprinkle on their food.

How does his breathing sound? Does his poop look normal?

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The peeling feet may not be a problem - that is not uncommon. A wee bit of olive oil on the legs to moisten them may help with that. Just a tiny tiny bit after swimming.

4. croddey19

Feb 20, 2015
    Thanks for your response! His breathing seems fine to me - now this is my first experience with ducklings though. His poop yesterday was greenish. Not sure if that is normal. When we got them they did not have bands on their legs. Not saying they didn't though before we got them.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Greenish poop can mean an infection. Do you have a vet who could see him ?

It also can mean he ate something green. But if it's a deeper green, there could be internal problems. Keep the vitamins, electrolytes going - compare the temperature of his legs and bill with the others in the same environment….

6. croddey19

Feb 20, 2015
    It was a lighter green. The closest person to us is an hour and a half away.

7. croddey19

Feb 20, 2015
    Just got home from work and he seems to be doing much better!! He's actually grooming himself. Still very wobbly but he's actually up on his feet! His poop today looks to be back to the normal. Praying it gets better!

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Get the brewer's yeast or niacin, keep helping him and giving him TLC. Good news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by