Sickly Hen, any ideas??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Double T, May 15, 2011.

1. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Silver Laced Wynadote(sp), was told 2 yrs old, no idea on weight, fat chicken, lol
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Noticed Tuesday evening, she was standing in the water all fluffed up, not moving, had pooped in it, so I made her get out, and rinsed and refilled, a friend came up so I went to the fence to visit and the water ran over, she then went and laid in the water. Still fluffed up, not wanting to moved much, kind of swollen back end (no feathers on her butt or back so I can tell, none of the 6 hens I bought had many feathers but were laying), I also had my egg amount go down so figured she isn't laying anymore either, was very reluctant to want to move or eat, although yesterday she looked better and ate for the first time in several days. Had my fil say it sounded like she had an egg broken inside her
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    About 6 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    nope everyone else is fine
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    nope, other than a swollen back end
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    nothing other than the evacuating becuase of the fire, a bit over 2 weeks ago and then brining them back home
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Layena pellets, scraps, a bit of scratch for a treat, and water, oh and free choice oyster shell
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    she's in with 7 other birds so it's hard to tell, but she has poop stuck to her butt
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing but watch her, don't know what to do?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Well figure out if I can help her or not, or what I need to get, no vets here that will treat a chicken they'll tell you to just get rid of her and get a new one
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No Pictures, can't post them off of this computer
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Standard ckicken coop, dirt and shavings for the nesting boxes, with several boards to perch on

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your fil might be right on, especially since she started eating again, which of course is a good sign. There are a couple of threads on the FAQ page about eggbound chickens, where an egg gets stuck. If she had a soft shelled egg they can be hard to pass. I hope it is something like this that can straighten itself out.

If their feathers are missing I would sure check them closely for lice/mites, too. A bad infestation can make them very sick, even kill them. I'd also think about worms, maybe ask the people you bought them from if they have ever wormed them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=472405

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Good luck.

3. Double T

Double T Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    W Texas
    Thanks, I asked in another topic about if I should worm them and dust them and if so with what, as I'm totally new to chickens in the last 2 months, so don't know, and was just todl I coudl if I wanted to, but no mention of what products or amounts, lol I'll keep looking. I doubt this guy did worm them, he had over 60 and was just for producing eggs, I wondered about them having lost a lot of feathers but he said it was the roosters, but even now, my rooster won't try to breed them and they haven't grown back yet, so it may be something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by