Sickly hen- needs a bath in minus 5 degrees!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LeezyBeezy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Shucks- I noticed this morning that one little hen, who will be a year ld this spring, doesn't look too chipper. She standing off, on one leg. I thought she might be cold. Then, when the gals came for the morning scratch (I'm out of BOSS), I saw her whole bottom is covered in white and yellow poo. Oh no. I hope it's not serious. I'll bring her in for a bath in a bit, then warm her and see how she does. Luckily, in some ways, the back of our house in cold- like in the 50s, so I'll have a place to transition her later. I think I'll scramble her and egg while she dries. Wish me luck!!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Make sure you give her a long time to dry. The outer feathers dry much faster than the inner feathers.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read many times of using a hair dryer on low.

Hope this turns out well!

4. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I left mine by my fireplace for an hour the other day and her top feathers dried but not her legs, bum or underneath so I put the blowdryer on low and held it out quite a ways and blowdried her feathers like I would my own hair. It worked really well and she didn't even seem to notice really.

5. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I blow dried my one silkie last week after she was playing in the rain at bedtime. I was surprised that she actually seemed to like it.

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I agree, I blow dry mine too, they seem to like it. I'd keep her in for 24 hours though, as it is really cold and she sounds chilled already. Maybe a dose of vitamins (polyvisol)? And warm oatmeal. Need to find out whats causing her problem if you can, maybe some probiotics? Or yogurt? Good luck with your hennie. We give pepto bismal to horses and goats, maybe chickens??? Not sure, but you could check it out. HenZ

7. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I brought her in, popped her in the tub, but only in about 2 inches of water. There was an egg-sized wad of frozen poop stuck to her feathers!! Poor girl. I used a washcloth and my hands to get it clean. Then double checked her bottom, and died with a towel. She stayed inside in the warmth until she was dry, then in our back room for a few hours (cool back there), then outside while it was still sunny out. I would have tried the blow dryer, but I got called into work. Hubby did a great job with her!!

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I had to do this with one of my girls yesterday depth I had to cut the icicles. She seems to be doing fine and is being a good girl.

9. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I was afraid that she might be sick, so I fed her some scrambled eggs. Hubby said her poops looked normal for the rest of the day, so I am hoping it was some random event. The fact that is was almost -20 at night, and then hens like to squish into the net boxes (probably squished on the poop) may have something to do with it... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by