Sickly looking birds for sale - No thanks!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MIKE555444, Sep 10, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I stopped by a road side sale or "flea market" and one guy had some chickens for sale. Excited to take a peek I was shocked when i got close enough to really see them.... They looked horrible. Even there combs looked dried up and almost dead? I would have never purchased these and added to my flock but I felt really sorry for them [​IMG]

Could the dried up combs be from dehydration or age of the hens??

To be very honest i didn't want to get to close to them...

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Is there anyone you know who doesn't have chickens who might be able to rescue them? It's just too awful to think about them staying with that uncaring person [​IMG]
    JJ

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:probably from avian pox i my girls are now recovering from it but casper got the worst of it her comb is pretty bad since she was broody she got hit hard with it but i keep it clean and with iodine on it and she seems pretty okay but ide say its prob avian pox

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    They were set up on the weekend along the road and were long gone with in a few hours. Maybe somone purchased them that will care for them better. i just never seen anythink like it before ....

I wish I had took pics

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I saw some sad chickens at the feed store. They were both barred, although not barred rock, so maybe a cross? They were female and missing A LOT of feathers. They also looked skinny to me. Then one of them tried to get me through the cage. Mean ol thing she was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by