~Sickly rabbit~

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nero, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Nero

Nero New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    Alright, I have a few rabbits. Two NZreds, and two Cals. I am writing about my NZred doe as she is not feeling well. I noticed a few days ago that she had a wet bottom, then noticed that she seems to be sore on her hocks... can't see it as she has poo stuck to the bottom of her feet. I'm not sure why she does as she has a wire bottom cage with a board in it for her to rest on. I also noticed that she is breathing faster than the other bunnies at rest. I looked at her back end again today and now notice that she has been pulling the hair on the insides of her back legs. Not sure what is going on. I can't get in touch with the breeder that I got her from as he is a pretty busy guy. I called the breeder that I got the cals from and she thought it sounded just like sore hocks, but after a couple of days on the ground in a wire bottom cage.. [​IMG] she doesn't seem to be better.
    I can't make the connection between sore hocks, breathing faster, and now the hair pulling? Can anyone give me some insight? I know there is backyard herds, but I am not a member and not sure i want to become one yet.
    Can someone give me any advise? I have just gotten into the rabbits... maybe 6 weeks in... so you might imagine my confusion.. frustration?

2. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Sounds like it could be hutch burn. Where the hair is thinned out, is it red or inflamed?

3. Nero

Nero New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    Looks like she has been chewing on them. Wasnt there yesterday that I could notice and now is there VERY noticeably. She is breathing very rapidly, but does eat hay very well, but doesn't seem to have the same appetite for the pellets as she used to, though she does eat them.

4. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hmmm, I am still thinking hutch burn with a bit of infection. I will PM my info and can tell you how I treat my herd if you want to get in touch with me as I am on my way out of the office right now or I would type it out. You could google hutch burn and get some good info as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by