Sickly Rooster - No Idea on Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abronsyth, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    For about two weeks now our 2 year old Old English Game bantam roo has been sickly. The only symptoms are very pale comb and wattles, and extreme exhaustion after exertion.

He eats as though he is starving, but is refusing his normal crumbles. We have AviaCharge in his water, and when we first brought him in he seemed to be improving. However, it's now been over a week without any change. He has been wormed, and sprayed for parasites.

He still is crowing every morning (and throughout the day), is quite talkative, but just very exhausted and weak. He also is not gaining weight very well. He was thin when we brought him in, and his feces weren't normal (scant and watery), but after worming his feces went back to normal, firm form again. No weight gain, though.

Nothing wrong with his feathers or crop. No sneezing or other respiratory symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea what these symptoms could indicate?

He's a pet and we really don't want to lose him :(

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What did you use to deworm him and did you do a repeat dose 10 days after the first?

3. Abronsyth

Abronsyth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The wormer is Ivermectin, and yes he received a second dose.

I was wondering if it could be chicken anemia virus, but his appetite is very good.

My mom ordered some penicillin, so we'll see if that helps. He's still showing no improvement, though.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Ivermectin won't deworm your birds. It paralyzes the mouth parts of roundworms and not with efficiency since resistance has been shown. It does nothing for cecal, capillary, or other worms. My suggestion would be to immediately get a proper dewormer such as Valbazen (Albendazole). It is available at most feed stores. Dose the rooster .08 cc per pound of bird ( a 5 lb bird would get .5 cc). If you have more than the rooster, dose all birds individually. Feed it to each one with a syringe minus the needle. Do it in the morning on an empty crop before the birds are fed. Meanwhile keep some poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic soluble powder in waterers for 3-5 days a week. Dose again with Valbazen 10 days from your first dose.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2 to all of the above. If you can't find the Valbazen another good one is liquid Safeguard for goats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by