Sickly Rooster

haddiemoo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
I have a big rooster that I have had for about three years now. Previous to this winter he was the macho type who crowed nice and early and a few other times a day, he would bluff charge you from time to time to keep you on your toes and strutted around like he owned the place. I only have him and a few hens that stay in a large house at night and have a very large run in the day. I keep them fed and watered good. During winter he started walking funny, almost like a high step with a kick out to the side. I thought his spurs got to long so we clipped them but he still walked this way. Now he walks around in almost a stooped over position with the funny walk. He also does not get on his roost at night but sleeps in a small dog house in his run. He just looks puny and I am pretty worried about him. His comb is still nice and red and he has all of his feathers. Other that trying to keep them up good and fed and watered, I do not know much about he health of chickens but I do know that he is not acting the same as he did a few months ago. Any ideas. Thanks

I have a big rooster that I have had for about three years now. Previous to this winter he was the macho type who crowed nice and early and a few other times a day, he would bluff charge you from time to time to keep you on your toes and strutted around like he owned the place. I only have him and a few hens that stay in a large house at night and have a very large run in the day. I keep them fed and watered good. During winter he started walking funny, almost like a high step with a kick out to the side. I thought his spurs got to long so we clipped them but he still walked this way. Now he walks around in almost a stooped over position with the funny walk. He also does not get on his roost at night but sleeps in a small dog house in his run. He just looks puny and I am pretty worried about him. His comb is still nice and red and he has all of his feathers. Other that trying to keep them up good and fed and watered, I do not know much about he health of chickens but I do know that he is not acting the same as he did a few months ago. Any ideas. Thanks

What has he been eating for the past 3 yrs?

I keep the pellet kind of chicken feed (from TSC or the feed store) in their feeder and once a day throw out a handful of scratch and a sometimes put out some kind of fresh greens and or scraps. Their diet has remained the same since I have had them. Last year I did allow them to roam in the yard and put them up at night and I am sure their diet had more grass, etc then but my neighbor complained that my hen scratched her yard up one day, hence the big run.

I keep the pellet kind of chicken feed (from TSC or the feed store) in their feeder and once a day throw out a handful of scratch and a sometimes put out some kind of fresh greens and or scraps. Their diet has remained the same since I have had them. Last year I did allow them to roam in the yard and put them up at night and I am sure their diet had more grass, etc then but my neighbor complained that my hen scratched her yard up one day, hence the big run.

Is it layer pellets? If so, the rooster may have calcium induced gout. Non laying birds who consume >3% calcium for extended or life time can develop gout. Change to all flock type feed with 18% protein and up the free choice oyster shell for your layers.

Thanks, I will head to the store tomorrow and get some and give it a try. Thanks for the help

Thanks, I will head to the store tomorrow and get some and give it a try. Thanks for the help

YW. Good luck, I hope your boy improves or at least doesn't decline further.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom