Sickly Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mountain mom, Aug 19, 2014.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    One of our 5 month old silkies has suddenly become VERY lethargic. Can't stand, has a very hard time holding up her head, and is sleeping 24/7. She drank some water on her own, but won't eat. I have been force feeding eggs to her. Her temp yesterday was 104.8 today is 102.4. Poop is watery, but normal considering over 24 hours she has not had more than 1 scrambled egg. Any ideas?![​IMG]
    This is how she is laying, face down.
    thank you for your help!!!

2. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    I'd start by treating for coccidiosis.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Give her some vitamin B...she may have wry neck...if you have some eggs, fish or any food with a high content of vitamin B try this with your chick.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks for the help! Once it seemed that heat stroke was not the issue, we started treating for cocci. There were never any odd droppings, but better safe than sorry! Hopefully we will see a quick recovery! Thanks again.

5. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    After around 30 hours of being on corid, she is not much improved. Maybe a little stronger, but still sleeping all day, not eating or drinking on her own. I'm wondering if it was not actually cocci after all. Maybe start antibiotics?! She has no fever, eyes and nostrils are clear.

6. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I wouldn't go giving her antibiotics without a more definitive diagnosis, myself. But then again, there comes a point when all bets are off and you are willing to try just about anything to save them! Since I don't know where along that time spectrum you're at, I can only advise you to do what your gut tells you to do. I know that's probably not the response you were looking for, but it's the only one I've got. Sorry.

7. aatx

aatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Erath County, Texas
    Did you check for wry neck, like was mentioned in post 3?

Is she drinking enough to get the proper amount of corid each day?

8. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    she can hold her head up when she is not exhausted, it is cot curving around. She is just too tired to hold it up.
    I have been force watering her since she won't drink on her own. I believe she is getting enough.

9. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks for the help, I feel I am at that point, but mostly because we will be out of town again tomorrow. Without someone force feeding and watering her, she will die. I appreciate the response!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    If she can barely stand and has trouble holding up her head, my guess would be that she wouldn't have coccidiosis. Coccidiosis affects the intestines. I do not believe it would make her not stand or hold up her head. Is she unable to hold up her head and stand, or is she not wanting to hold up head and stand? If she is unable, I would say she might have Marek's Disease. If she is not wanting to, she could have coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by