Sickly Sussex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welsh Dog, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Welsh Dog

Welsh Dog New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    Over in Sydney Australia, opened the coop this morning and all seemed fine. Two of our birds were broody, a Susses and an Orpington. Both seemed ok.

For some reason I checked the coop an hour later and the Sussex had hopped off it's eggs, rolled on its back and died. There is a heavy infestation of mites that I'd not noticed before and a steady procession of *ants* marching in and out of the coop as well which when I saw her were covering her everywhere!!

Her head, nostrils and beak seemed to be covered in a clear watery mucus of some sort but i didn't examine her too closely.

Because this could only have happened within the last hour and the weather is quite warm, I'm going out now to put the eggs under the Orpington in the hope they will survive and hope for the best but I'm at a loss to work out what might have caused our lovely bird to die.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If the mites were heavy, she could have suffered from anemia, and had a heart attack. I would get the coop and nest boxes cleaned out, and spray permethrin , then replace bedding. Dust birds with permethrin also. Repeat dusting and cleaning every 7 days for mite eggs. She may have emptied out her crop when she died.

3. Welsh Dog

Welsh Dog New Egg

Jul 20, 2013
    Many thanks. I have powders here so I'll see what happens.

By the way, I put the eggs under the Orpington but it just made her get off her own and abandon the lot. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by