sickly turkey-any ideas

fmiller

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Lyons, Kansas
I have four jersey buff turkeys that are approximately 8 weeks old! I went out to check on them last night and one of them has a droopy wing and is a little ruffled! He acts a little sluggish, but ran from me when I tried to catch him to take a look and made their alert sounds! I do have chickens but they are housed away from the turkeys and the turkeys are currently on cement floor! There was a blood spot inside the coop (just one), but their poop looks normal to me. I know it is a bit of a guessing game as to what is wrong! What would you do in this situation? Give the one with ruffled feathers Corid or Sulmet or try an antibiotic. I have Tylan 50 on hand or tetraclyclen. Another thought would be it could be droopy because he hurt his wing in some way! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe he hurt his wing in some way? My turkey has an injured wing and it droops as well, although it doesn't look ruffled. I hope someone has more information than I do. I hope your turkey is okay.

Get some help and a flashlight and examine the turk after dark. Could be an injury look for feathers broken off/pulled out, Range of motion of wings, obvious abrasions/punctures, bottoms of feet as well. I'd separate out the puny turk as chooks/turks cut the injured/sick no slack and will try to retire it from the `gene pool', if it is an illness it might be too late to prevent transmission but you might get lucky.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom