sickness in a hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sharon O, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Sharon O

Sharon O New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I have a hen who has just hatched chicks. She has a respiratory infection and it has a bad smell. I have her isolated and have been treating her with oxytetracycline in her water. She won't leave the nest, so I have been feeding her water in a syringe without a needle. Question: Can I feed the treated water to the chicks or will it kill them?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I wonder if you should separate the chicks and raise in a brooder. I know they were already exposed to her "Illness?" but, I think she would get well sooner if she didn't have them to care for.

5. wv leipers

wv leipers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    i agree with flockmaster . seek medical help , and don,t be afraid to ask questions , from other chicken lovers who have been through the same problems with their chickens . if you have a brooder i would put the chicks in it until the hen get better . the chicks starter and grower is medicated , so they should be fine in the brooder . put the hen in a4x4 pen on fresh grass it will help her recover after the setting period she just went through ., the clean area will really help .. god bless wv leipers

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by