1. richardfairlie

richardfairlie Hatching

Jun 8, 2019
    This may be a bit of one, sorry. i had quite a few deaths recently, started out with 12 little white ones, got a hen and rooster to keep the rats from trying to eat them and then also got 10 broiler chicks. went on holiday, someone else was taking care of them, then a week after i got back 3 of the broilers died when i had to go away to the city gone 7 hours. i put it down to heat and not having enough space. then a week later the smaller white ones started dying. took me days to find a vet who could handle chickens who said cococidosis. Anysways its hot here all the time and i think its under control now (left with 5 little white ones, 6 broilers) they have just had 1 week on sulfadimethoxine sodium trimethoprim. my rooster now seems sick, hes become very needy at night and shows me his runny nose and sneezes in front of me. but each morning he looks clear. 2 to 3 days, so put himon erythromycin tilmicosin. is he sick or is it just from heat?

2. richardfairlie

richardfairlie Hatching

Jun 8, 2019
    ok, my hen and rooster coop together, shes brooding and not very human sociable, caught her this morning, last time was a few days ago, she shook her head and also sprayed me with mucus. is there anything else i can give to help shift mucus, like vicks for humans, since she doesnt really leave her eggs

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis is very common in young chickens. Corid (amprollium) and the sulfa drug you have can treat it. It sounds like you might have brought in a respiratory disease with one of the older chickens. Several are common—MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT. Do you smell a bad odor from their beaks? Is there any swelling of the eyes or faces, or foam or pus in eyes? The sulfa antibiotic you have can treat symptoms of coryza. MG is treated with Tylan, oxytetracycline, and others. Most diseases make the whole flocks carriers, and it will be passed on to baby chicks, unfortunately. MG can even be passed through the hatching egg. Sorry that you are dealing with these problems. Hopefully the medicine will help, but if you lose any more birds, you can get a necropsy performed by the state vet to get a diagnosis.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. richardfairlie

richardfairlie Hatching

Jun 8, 2019

5. richardfairlie

richardfairlie Hatching

Jun 8, 2019
    they already had the sulfa drug one week. a autopsy was done and no respitory disease in the ones that died. one of the broilers has foamy poop so they will go back on sulfa antibiotic again. shall i give the others who have now finished their medicine on the same as im giving the rooster? as a precaution?

it just seems to be mucus in the mouth, she showed me by showering me in it and a runny nose at night.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The sulfa antibiotics can be hard on the kidneys, so I am not sure that I would give another round to those who have already had it. Some respiratory diseases are from viruses, and testing might tell you which one you are dealing with. Infectious bronchitis is the most common disease, and causes congestion, sneezing, and watery eyes. Diarrhea is common after antibiotcs. Probios powder in their water or a little plain yogurt can give them probiotics to get their gut health back to normal. Are the sick birds’ crops emptying overnight?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. richardfairlie

richardfairlie Hatching

Jun 8, 2019
    hi yes all croos arr emptying, all are getting pro biotics, ill take the ones off sulpza today. and see how it goes, the rooster seems better also. so fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: