Sicks duckies please help I'm new!

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
Okay so they both have red eyes now and I've heard them both cough, not a lot at all, maybe 3 coughs and I wont hear it for days, but now i can see some slight drying around the eyes and I saw like teardrops coming out of Jack's eye. I've given them terramycin eye ointment twice now I dont know if I'm doing it right, I put gloves on and an m&m size drop and smear it on their eyes. I'm getting really worried about them and everytime I look something up on google I get conflicting answers or no answers at all. I dont know If should be really worried or if I'm overly worried. I just ordered vet rx and I'll give that to them on wednesday when it arrives. I hope it helps. I'm just so new to ducks and I feel super lost.

Attachments

• 20191209_222640.jpg
    20191209_222640.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_223211.jpg
    20191209_223211.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_222644.jpg
    20191209_222644.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_223227.jpg
    20191209_223227.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_222608.jpg
    20191209_222608.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_222623.jpg
    20191209_222623.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191209_222617.jpg
    20191209_222617.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 7
Their eyes are starting to get crusty and I'm hearing wheezing. I dont want to wait until its too late to bring them to the vet. Should I wait for the vet rx to get here in 2 days and see how that works or should I just bring them to the vet. I've never been to a vet that takes ducks so I'll have to research. They are my pets, not just ducks. I'll start looking for a vet for them but if anyone has suggestions please let me know

If worried get them to the vet. VetRX is like Vick’s vapor rub except it’s for poultry it’s not going to cure anything. If they are weezing and eyes are having discharge they may need an antibiotic. If it’s an irritation the Terramycin should help but doesn’t sound like it is.

Is their feed really dusty? or their bedding? even heat can cause dry eyes. What temps are they in? When I was feeding mash I had to ferment it because It would irritate my eyes and nose just getting it out of the bag it was so dusty. Well that wasn't the only reason I fermented but was why I got started doing it, it was so dusty.

I am feeding small pellets now and no dust at all.

They are still eating chick started, I dont think its dusty, they have straw bedding. I think it's bc their pen is inside and it locking in a lot of the air, and stuff. They are still yellow but I think they are fully feathered so I am getting them an outside pen, it's cold out but maybe the fresh air will help. I found an avian vet but he only has an opening today and Thursday, I am extremely busy today, I was hoping to go tomorrow but that's not an option at that vet. I know no one can make the decision for me, but do you think it will be okay to wait until thursday? Or should I bring them in today as a squeeze in emergency?

Only you can make that decision. About the vet. If you think they maybe sick then I wouldn't wait. I would transition them slowly to the out of doors though if you haven't been. Going from a warm house to a very cold environment isn't very good either. You aren't still using heat in their indoor area? If you are turn it off let them get acclimated to the indoor warmth of your home. Take them out for short field trips a couple times a day for the rest of the week to start them acclimating. At 8 weeks they should be fully feather.

I think I'm going to wait to take them, they seem a little better than last night and I have a huge exam tomorrow, I'm going to look for another vet, even if its further away that's open tomorrow so hopefully they keep getting a little better. And the vet would only take them as an emergency today. I gave them some more terramycin and another water bowl, that will hopefully stay clean for longer than 20 minutes since its further from the food. The pet rx comes in tonight and I know you said it wont cure it but maybe itll make them a little more comfortable for now. I also turned off the heat lamp, so hopefully it acclimates them. I'm just worried that if they are sick the change in temp wont help.

Back
Top Bottom