side effects of poor ventilation...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, Aug 19, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    so, I suspect I've had poor ventilation in the cabinet incubator I made. I've looked all over the internet but still have not found anything that seems to strongly confirm my hypothesis. so, my chicks have been dying mostly around day 16-19, they have excess fluid in their bodies(in spite of correct humidity) and have trouble absorbing their yolk sacs and there is a foul smell when they hatch. Today I went and drilled 30 holes in the plexiglass door of the bator. the temp dropped 2 degrees in there within a few minutes, so I'm assuming that the holes are helping with ventilation. Is 30 holes enough ya think?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

30 holes is probably plenty, mine has two holes.

Have you calibrated the hydrometer? Could that be off? Does the smell smell worse than hatching otherwise? They do have a musky odor when they hatch even in perfect humidity settings.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Fowl...I was thinking about your ventilation yesterday when I posted. I think you have done the right thing. I don't think you can have too much fresh air. I drilled a large hole right behind my computer fan so it pulls in fresh air all the time. That one, plus the other 8 holes makes sure I have plenty of fresh air and the temp/humidity is actually easier to adjust.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I do not think you have a ventilation problems at all. When I read this instantly soggy or mushy chick syndrome came to mind. It is classic symptoms.

You have a bacteria infection happening at some point in your eggs. The foul smell is the alarm bell and the other problems with the hatching eggs solidifies the diagnosis for me.

How have you cleaned the incubator between your hatches? Every part needs to be sterelized. The places you can't spray with bleach solution needs to bake in the sun for several days before you even try to hatch again. Even then i would be cautious. If you have to take it apart and hand clean the electronic pieces. Submerge or completely douse in bleach water all of the other non-electrical parts.

There is a thread here somewhere in the archives where dlhunicorn posted the complete scientific diagnosis for the condition. It is a bacteria that causes the chicks to seem as if they are water logged, they can't absorb their yolk sac and the bacteria is concentrated in the belly and causes the stench.

I'll see if I can find it.

Here is one thing I found -

The disease is prevented by careful control of temperature, humidity, and sanitation in the incubator. Only clean, uncracked eggs should be set. If it is necessary to set dirty eggs, they should be segregated from clean eggs. Sanitizing detergents must be used according to directions if eggs are washed. Time, temperature, and frequent changes of water are as critical as the concentration of sanitizer in both wash and rinse water. The rinse should be warmer than the wash water (which should be warmer than the internal temperature of the egg), but should not be >60°C.
    The incubator should be cleaned and disinfected thoroughly between hatches.​

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the validation on the soggy chick syndrome. Not that I'm included in this convo, but this last time (over a year ago) I had hatching chicks just like the ones you are speaking of. I heard from other hatchers (friends) that it was heat, the eggs etc etc, I threw the incubator away, crushed because I thought it was a bacteria from using a old incubator that was stored in a moldy enviroment.
    It makes me realize I needed to go with my gut feeling. Again, thank you for the validation.

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i agree with the mushy chick theory these are classic symptoms miss prissy is rite on,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by