Side of chickens head bloody?!!?!!??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Oct 30, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    My beloved Shelly (white bantam hen) was hurt yesterday. I went out to give the chickies corn and found her bleeding profusely from just above her earlobe. I separated her from the rest and her wound has scabbed over. She is eatting and drinking, and i let her free range today. My problem, is, is that she is still covered in dried blood. How do i get it off? I tried to pull some off put it seemed to pull her skin and cause her pain. I would also like to know if i should keep her separated tonight or not. Last night i kept her in a big tupperware box (she even laid an egg in it LOL ) wich chicken wire over the top and a heat lamp. Should i do that tonight? I dont want the rest picking at her. Im happy she is okay. Shes my baby.

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Is it a scab that you're trying to pull off, or just dried blood on her feathers and stuff? Leave scabs alone, but if it's plain dried blood, try a warm wet washcloth. That might do the trick.
    Good luck!

3. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    If you want to clean the blood off and get a better idea of what's going on, take some lukewarm water and a cloth and hold it on the wound for a while, and let the blood soften before gently rubbing/dabbing it away. Depending on your weather and where you're keeping her, but she probably doesn't need a heat lamp. If you want to leave her with the others, there are some things that you can put on her to keep them from pecking at her, so take a look around the wounds/diseases/cures section of BYC. Good luck!

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I was not pulling at the scabs, just the blood gathered around her feathers and nose and eyes.

I will try this! :) I usaed a heatlamp because she was wet cause it was pooring rain, and i figured it would be nice and comfy for her

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

When I worked as a veterinary assistant, they always used Peroxide to clean off blood. It works really well. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Just like rub it on there?

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

Quote:Just like rub it on there?

Use it like you would water. Put it on a cotton ball and gently wipe with the way the feathers grow. The Peroxide dessolves the blood. [​IMG]

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Do you use chicken wire on your pen?
    If so, could something have tried to pull her through?

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:It was the middle of the day..... and yes i do have chicken wire.

The others seemed to be pecking it making it worse

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by