Side of the Road Rescue

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tyerant, Oct 14, 2013.

1. tyerant

tyerant New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    New to this chicken thing! I found a chicken on the side of the road. Couldn't leave it there so I took it home. It has been 3 weeks and no one claimed it so here we are! It has been running free about my 1 acre property with food and water supplied by me and the family so far. It has been foraging around as well. Seems happy and has taken to us. Very tame!

What have I got myself into? [​IMG] Looked allover the internet and best I can figure is it is a Sussex Light. Now for the hard part... is it a rooster or a hen? I am worried about winter here in Canada and need to have a farmer adopt or to set something up to keep it quick.

[​IMG]

Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Wow, what a lucky hen - sure looks like a girl to me! If you're going to keep her, she'll probably need a couple of friends, chickens like to flock together.

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert, but I think you have a columbian rock. If this bird was light sussex it would have white legs.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She is beautiful, now get a few more! [​IMG] So good of you to take that sweet girl in. By the way, [​IMG], where you will always find lots of answers and good people too!

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    How weird to find a chicken on the side of the road.

What a lucky break for you! But she needs friends!

6. tyerant

tyerant New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    Robbie/Roberta is off to his/her new home and will be met with lots of friends.

Thanks all for your help. Perhaps in the spring we will plan on keeping 3 hens. Robbie was a great learning experience for our family.

All the best,
    Tye

7. Girl! She would have crowed by now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by