side-stepping roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laffindog, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    Here lately, when I open the door to the coop and Roy the roo comes out, he rushes at me in a strange side-stepping way that he hasn't done in the past. This morning he did it but I was in the process of throwing down their spaghetti and it distracted him.

Is he showing me aggression?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A little.....my rooster does this to his hens...sort of a little sidestepping jig....right before he does the do! He has also done it towards me if I "bother" one of his harem....I just advance towards him rapidly and he backs down and runs. I wouldn't let him continue it without a confrontation! [​IMG]

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    He's trying to WOO you!! he's doing his rooster dance to impress you. Just let him know he's not your type

4. Laffindog

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    Oh....he likes me? Yes, now that you mention it, I've seen him do that with the girls, too. I'll start being more dominant with him.

What, exactly, is flogging?

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well, they do their little dance, and sometimes they don't stop to do even that, and they leap at you, feet first and spur you while simultaneously beating at you with their wings. Its an enriching experience, one you won't forget. If their spurs don't get you, their claws will, and sometimes this is accompanied with a violent pecking action. Depending on the size and aggressiveness of the rooster, it sort of feels like being stabbed and pummeled at the same time...but by a short person! [​IMG]

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:I couldn't of explained it better myself [​IMG] My white cochin bantam does this to only short people... He has tried with me several times over the past year but learns very quickly that i don't go down easy. I usually pick him up and have a "talk" with him and he goes off on his merry way growling like a bear because he lost the battle [​IMG]

7. Laffindog

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    :| *gulp* I'm not looking forward to it.

8. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    He's watching to many John Wayne movies. [​IMG]

9. Laffindog

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] Ha ha, that was funny!

Boy, this morning when I opened the coop door, he was out before I realized it and right behind me. I wasn't even awake yet!

He's getting randier by the day.....he chased the girls all around and didn't get distracted by the food I was throwing down.

Roy isn't the sweet boy he used to be.

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I always referred this to be the "Baby do you wanna" dance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by