Siding made or wood pieces?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have a lot of wood. Can I use 2x6s to make the siding? or will it leak? Vertical not horizontal.

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you probably could. I'd look around in the coop section, there's bound to be something similar to what you are thinking of doing, and they might have some pics of the final result yo are looking for. [​IMG]

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    no reason you can't use 2X6's if you have enough. place them verticaly with a 1/4" or so gap and use something to cover the gap like a ripped 2X6 or strips of exterior plywood. the method is called board and batton.

like this:

http://z.about.com/d/miniatures/1/0/j/2/-/-/applystrip.jpg

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In NC you'd probably be fine without battens (most of the time at least) as long as the boards fit together well without too much of a gap. Personally I'd put battens on at *least* the side the worst weather comes from in Winter, though, probably all four sides.

I wouldn't recommend plywood for the battens, though; REAL wood will last quite a lot longer in this application. You should be able to get 1x2 or 1x3 furring strips for cheap - they will be a bit curvy/twisty/weird but the majority will do just fine as battens. Recommend predrilling your nail holes to avoid splitting.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    2 x 6 are expensive. If it is good lumber you may consider selling or trading it. It will work fine but may be worth more if sold and plywood purchased for the siding.

6. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by