Sidney, MT Newbie thanks to Harlanshollow

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vegjet, Jun 23, 2010.

1. vegjet

vegjet Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Sidney, Montana
    Thought I should introduce myself since I have been lurking here for 13 weeks now! I am currently raising my first ever chickens and have found a wealth of information here! My friend and neighbor Laura (Harlanshollow) told me about your site. I first came here looking for advice on a sick chick, I thought she had Marak's from all the symptoms she had. Maybe she did, paralyzed legs and wings that came on slowly. Everyday I would get up expecting to find her gone. She would hear me and start hollering for food and water. This chick could not stand, laid on her side for 10 days or better. I hand fed her from her little box she shipped to me in for 2 weeks. Gave her aspirin from a syringe and egg yokes from boiled eggs mixed with starter ration. No on thought she would make it. I even hung a sling with rubberbands from my kitchen cabinet knob for her to sit in. Well she gradually got better, started to walk using her wings as a means to balance on the floor, would fall over and try again. Now I can't tell her from the rest! She is a Black Sex-Link. Soooo, I was here quite a bit to read and read about sick chicks. I have 26 chickens, a mix of Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black Sex-Links, Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. 3 of which are roosters, not by my choice, 2 SLW and one that is a Barred Rock, maybe? I will post a pic, maybe someone could help identify him. I also have 5 horses, 4 dogs, 5 chinchillas, 2 cows, and a mess of barn cats. Thanks for such a great forum and I look forward to making friends!

2. vegjet

Apr 6, 2010
    Sidney, Montana
    [​IMG][/img]

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickaholic

Chickaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Snohomish, Wa
    [​IMG] from Washington!!

4. Old Fossil

Old Fossil Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    south Mississippi
    Vegjet, where is Sidney, in relation to some of the larger towns in MT?

5. vegjet

Apr 6, 2010
    Sidney, Montana
    Old Fossel, Sidney is in the upper Northeast corner of Montana, about 80 miles from the Canadian border and a spitting distance from North Dakota. In relation to Billings about 285 miles. I live right on the edge of the Badlands!

6. Old Fossil

Mar 16, 2010
    south Mississippi
    Wow, that's way on out there. I've never been to that part of the state. Bet you guys have some cruel hard winters.

7. vegjet

Apr 6, 2010
    Sidney, Montana
    I don't think there are words for our winters! I hope my chickens do ok this winter, my first time to winter chickens! They are 16 weeks old now and free ranging. We have a coop inside the barn with a tunnel to the outside for them to go through. It's very well insulated so hopefully all will be well. Montana can be very rugged in the winter, and pretty hot and cruel in the summer! We don't have the humidity you have though. I am from Missouri originally, where the humidity can rival Mississippi. It took me several months to get used to the dry air.

8. Old Fossil

Mar 16, 2010
    south Mississippi
    Good luck this winter! Heck, I'm worried about keeping my four hens warm, and we seldom get heavy snowfall here.

I was curious: what brought you to that part of Montana, if you don't mind my asking? Sidney seems remote, even by Montana standards.[​IMG]

9. vegjet

Apr 6, 2010
    Sidney, Montana
    I met the love of my life online, it still took him 5 years to talk me into moving here! But here I am! Now I am ready for a warmer jetstream... LOL!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. Old Fossil

Mar 16, 2010
    south Mississippi
    Well I appreciate your telling me. I've been wanting to move to MT for the better part of 20 years, and have convinced my wife of 11 years to go. We're hoping next year will be the year.

I've only been twice, and was in the mountainous regions in the southern and western parts of the state most all the time.

I've done a bit of traveling over the high Plains states from TX to ND. I salute you and your hubby... takes a strong spirit to live in that wide open country, I imagine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by