1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sienna is gone =(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknhawaii, Oct 21, 2011.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I checked in here to share that our Tallulah had passed away of unknown causes. Now I'm back to share that her sister, Sienna, passed today also of unknown causes. [​IMG] I am sad beyond tears and distressed beyond words. Both of them were about 3-1/2 years old and haven't been laying much but they were very much a part of our family. I am starting to wonder about how they passed and am wondering if someone around here has been putting out rat poison - the rats have been in our yard and around the girls - and somehow our girls have been ingesting small quantities of it...

Although it doesn't really matter, our girls are still gone and that leaves a huge void in our yard and our hearts...right now having Uma in top shape isn't very consoling, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Is it possible their time just ran out? I would think just because some chickens live to five or longer doesn't mean all do.

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost two chickens to a dog attack a short while back and it broke my heart. But when it comes to 3.5-year old hens dying of no apparent cause, I'm wondering if the previous poster is correct. It may be that their time was simply up. Chickens die quickly. And if they were a bonded pair, it may have been that the loss of the first one took something away from the second. In any case, I hope you're feeling better soon. My heart goes out to you.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Plenty of chickens live to 15! My Clarice is 8. 5 is barely middle age!

Given that both chickens died mysteriously there is probably a connection. Can you get a necropsy done?

I'm very sorry about your pretty girls. [​IMG]

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Ole rooster wrote:

Is it possible their time just ran out? I would think just because some chickens live to five or longer doesn't mean all do.

No, their time did not run out. They were living a "life of luxury" so-to-speak, no predators, endless food, lots of grey dove friends, and of course, us.

Tallulah died of unknown causes technically but I believe it was from a head injury from a fall or flight.

Sienna probably died of loneliness if nothing else. Couldn't introduce anyone to her - she's the one that used to kill rats and tried to kill the 2 roosters that flew in over a year ago. The only ones she'd allow near her besides Tallulah were the grey doves. [​IMG]

Katydid2011 wrote:

Plenty of chickens live to 15! My Clarice is 8. 5 is barely middle age!

Given that both chickens died mysteriously there is probably a connection. Can you get a necropsy done?

I'm very sorry about your pretty girls. hugs

TY for your response. The necropsy would cost $$$ and seeing as I don't have a business or flock, I didn't see the need. Took her to the Humane Society to be cremated. [​IMG]

Actually, TY to everyone. I appreciate the good thoughts. I'm taking it minute by minute...thought briefly about getting more layers since it'll take 5 months to get them laying but it's way too soon to even consider...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by