1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sifter Size For Coop Cleaning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thisjed, Feb 24, 2017.

1. thisjed

thisjed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Newark, IL
    I'm planning to use sand as the flooring for my run. I'm going to purchase a sifter that sits in a 5 gallon bucket for cleaning out the droppings and any other unwanted items. Being completely new to chickens though, I'm unsure what size sifter to buy. They come in 1/4 inch screening and 1/8 inch screening. Both should let sand through - the larger a bit easier. I don't know what size chicken droppings are though (again, new to chickens). Can someone recommend one size over the other? Thx!

2. PorchChickens

PorchChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    FLAR-duh
    I'd say get the 1/8". Chicken poops tend to break apart when they get rolled around in the sand (the solid ones do anyway). I use sand in my coop and even though I clean it every morning, the hens manage to trample some of the larger pieces into smaller ones. 1/8" should get most of them easily.

3. thisjed

thisjed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Newark, IL
    Perfect, thx!!!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by