Sifting chick starter/grower

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HopeSprings, Jun 26, 2019.

1. HopeSprings

HopeSprings Songster

Feb 3, 2019
    Weaverville, NC
    My 5-week-olds are leaving the finer particles of their feed in the feeder, so I've started shifting their feed to serve them mostly the larger crumbles. Now I'm thinking that maybe I can use the finer particles to make a "mash" -- is that the right term? (I'm new to this chicken scene!) And how does go about making a mash?

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    I can say I've discovered much waste with chick feed, as you describe.
    A mash is simply the feed mixed with a liquid, typically water. I'm not sure for normal situations one would use anything else other than water.

Curious now :pop

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  3. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Considering I have different age groups going, I sift the smaller pieces for my younger babies and of course the larger for the bigger ones. I just recently ended up with a cross beak silkie, so my smaller pieces will never be a waste because they will be turned into a mash for her.

4. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    Mash is simply fine feed. You can mix it with a liquid if you want, though. Years ago, all chicken feed was either mash or pellets. There were no crumbles. A lot of people mixed the mash with skim milk. In those days a lot of people had a few cows and they separated the milk and sold the cream. The skim went to the pigs, poultry, and us kids.

HopeSprings likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Mix it with a little water and they will think you are giving them a fancy treat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Timothy Menezes and HopeSprings like this.
  6. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    This isn't exactly the same thing, but it reminded me of something. My aunt had all us kids convinced that the heel was the best part of a loaf of bread. We used to fight over them.

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :barnie. I fixed my phone's autocorrecting error in my post.

HopeSprings likes this.
  8. Sueby

Sueby Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    CT
    My last bag of layer crumble was mostly dust & my hens started just flinging it out of the feeder all over the floor. :rant So I read the tip here to just add water & OMG they love it. The soupier the better too, I think because then they don't have to bother going to the waterer, lol. Lazy birds.

So now that they picked up the bad habit of flinging feed out of the feeder they started doing it with the pellets. Feed everywhere again. :he

9. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Once they start a new habit (good or bad). It's hard to break.
    My Golden Comets 38 months old bill crumbles out of their galvanized hanging feeder. I raised it so the trough is level with their back. They still bill it out and leave it on the floor. 20190311_050924.jpg . They won't show their faces on camera.
    My Barred Rocks 10 months old have their own coop. They have the same type feeder and don't bill it out, and eat any crumbs under the feeder. Such good girls. :love. 20190430_090843.jpg GC

10. Sueby

Sueby Songster

Apr 23, 2019
    CT
    That made me laugh! :lau Brats.

trumpeting_angel and GC-Raptor like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: