Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It's fun to personalize your sig with information about your family, quotations, or things that have a special meaning.

Smilies are fun too because they can relay emotions that you can't express unless you are face to face with a person.

However, when the sigs contain a lot of information, smilies, colors and annimation, they are distracting, and take away from the thread, especially when the person makes many posts in a thread. Also, using an overload of smilies hangs up the loading of the page.

Please create your sigs with fun and creativity that are easy on the eye.

Look over what you have now and see if you need to tone it down a little.

If you have any questions about your sigs, contact a moderator for assistance.

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    thank you I also see when people have too many smileys in their sig

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    LOL Ticks, look at your rank [​IMG]

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    overrun with pheasant? is that what you mean? I am overrun with pheasant read that story I wrote about today in the other birds, poultry, fowl section; that will tell you what I go through to make me overrun with pheasant [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Is mine okay? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

On a related note:

Someone requested that we put specifics in the rules about what should / shouldn't be in signatures. I replied that we can't and won't create rules for every little thing that should / shouldn't be posted or done.

It also isn't easy to avoid annoying sig lines. If you are reading through a thread that you started and someone replies over and over and has a ton of animated images and crazy colored text you can't just "steer clear" of it.

So, to reiterate Carla's request: Personalize your signature, but don't go crazy with too many smilies or too much color / bold in your signature. What is "too many / much" use your own judgement and if it is over the top a member of the staff will kindly point it out.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I just found this Not this thread, because I am quoted above but while changing my signature line I found this: Set your options for viewing posts
    If you are on a slow connection, disabling these options, particularly showing images in posts and signatures, will make pages load faster.

Show smilies as graphic icons

Show user signatures.

Show user avatars in posts.

Show images in posts.

Show images in user signatures

EDITED to add: It doesn't show the little boxes, but in your profile they are there, just check any or all and you wont have to see any more than you want to see, unless you dont like what is in the text of the post, in that case You are on your own.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder Marlin, that's actually pretty helpful and good info!

A quick related note: The issue I'd have selecting those options is I LIKE to see people's sig lines and what smilies they use. There are issues (and complaints) when some of the members put 20 flashing smilies in their sigs with lots of bold / multi-colored text.

We can very easily limit sig lines to not allow smilies, but we don't want 11,000 members to be limited because of the acts of just a few people.

9. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Yeah it bugs the hell out of me too when people try to stand out a little . When I go to start a post or read one , the 30 seconds I see that annoying sig line just sets the mood for the day . Darn those peolpe who try to express themselves !:thun

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  10. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

It really doesn't bother me, I guess I'm weird. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by