sigh...3 broody hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sandy16, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    What are the chances that 3 out of 6 hens would be broody at the same time? I guess that we are just lucky, huh? [​IMG]

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, that's one way to increase your flock size! Ha ha

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Depends on the breed I guess but I had three out of three broody at once a few weeks ago [​IMG]

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    You are SOOO lucky! I only had one go broody this year! Hope some will go broody this fall...

5. Sandy16

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    We don't have a roo and we collect the eggs every day, so there is really no reason for them to go broody other than instinct. Two of them are Buffs, and this is the 4th time in a year that one of the Buffs has gone broody. yikes! We have a neighbor with a roo and fertile eggs....if we decided to let some hatch, would it be better to give eggs to all 3 or pick only one hen?

decisions, decisions, decisions...

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That's a tough one. It might be hard to break the broodiness. Maybe your neighbor would want some of the chicks and you could put eggs under all three of them.

7. Sandy16

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    I thought that giving eggs to all 3 girls might be the best option. When Pearl has gone broody in the past, breaking her is just a matter of taking her off the nest box as many times a day as possible...usually takes 3-4 weeks for her to act normal again. The 3 current broodies all started at different times - Agnes has been at it for almost 3 weeks, Doris for 1.5 weeks and Pearl (the 4th timer) just started yesterday. Sigh.

I guess it is time to go talk to the neighbor and see how many eggs she has available!

8. Sandy, I see you are in Atlanta. So are we, sort of, though we are closer to Cartersville, which is north on 75. Anyway, we got our first chicks a bit over a month ago: a buff orp, a golden sexlink, and an ameraucana. It would be great to connect with you since you have a bit more experience, to say the least, and are dealing with the same weather, etc.

My email address is [email protected]. Thanks! Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by